¿Do you upgrade XenForo Beta without making a backup?

¿Do you upgrade XenForo Beta without making a backup?

• Total voters
You should always backup your database before upgrading.

Regarding server files, all you need to backup are the /data and /internal_data directories, and any style directories if you have created them as everything else is stored in the database.

I always take a backup my databases each day, but with any upgrades I take the time to back up the files on the server.

It's not that it's needed, but everyone should always have a copy of the web server on a local machine just in case, so I have always used the upgrade time line as a way to back up any files on my server to my local system.

Jamie

I make daily backups (automated) so i really dont go out of my way to make a super current backup prior to updating my forums.

I make daily backups (automated) so i really dont go out of my way to make a super current backup prior to updating my forums.

I used to be like that... then when I was upgrading over at vB and I lost the current posts and such and had to go back to yesterday's backup, my members were.. hey we're missing posts.. hey my post count was higher...

After that I always take a current backup... just in case... :)

Jamie

I used to be like that... then when I was upgrading over at vB and I lost the current posts and such and had to go back to yesterday's backup, my members were.. hey we're missing posts.. hey my post count was higher...

After that I always take a current backup... just in case... :)

Jamie
ohh, well if we are talking about vB then the answer would have been different. ;) lol i made backups of my backups back then. (vB4) :)

Unless I'm upgrading from a Major Version branch to another (ex. 1.x.x to 2.x.x) or migrating software, I don't do any back ups. For any software.

We moved to stormondemand for our server, so I just make an image of the live server and create a new instance that is an identical clone. Then I update the hosts file on my virtual machine (running in parallels), so that I can use browser/filezilla etc in parallels to connect directly to the testbed as if it was the live server. Test any updates with 100% certainty that I'm getting an accurate look at what will happen when I upgrade on live.

The image I made to spawn the test server serves as a full server backup in case I *do* have something bizarre happen during the upgrade on the Live box. The entire server is also backed up everyday during off peak hours so that's there as a fallback.

Sounds more complicated than it is in practice, it's really quite easy to do, and having a dead accurate testbed that's *easily* updatable, and only running (and incurring charges) when we NEED it is the best way to go IMO :).

9 to 9? Those are some pretty scary poll results.

Highly recommend backups, for any software, before upgrades.

In addition, I highly recommend backups in general, someplace *other* than your main server. If that fails you would be relying on the hosting company for their backups and I've seen many frustrated and disappointed people that experienced that.

I've gotten used to backing up all files and database before updating.
In cPanel I just compress my forum directory rather than downloading a backup.

An update is unlikely to completely destroy the database, so I generally trust my nightly database backup will sort me out if anything goes wrong.

Though I should really get round to setting up a backup system for attachments etc.

Everytime without fail.....

As I have a lot of confidence in xenforo I have every confidence that everything will be smooth each and every time.

As a database developer, I dont trust any database as far as I can throw em LOL

Everytime without fail.....

As I have a lot of confidence in xenforo I have every confidence that everything will be smooth each and every time.

As a database developer, I dont trust any database as far as I can throw em LOL
DANG good answer! We have a winner! :)

I haven't been backing up my XF db for the beta upgrades, but then it's only a test site, so it's not a concern. Basically I'm the same as jmurrayhead in post #3. But in all other situations in life, I always make backups before upgrades.

Rule #1: ALWAY backup
Rule #2: ALWAYS verify your backup
Rule #3: ALWAYS create a second backup
Rule #4: ALWAYS store your second backup seperate from the first
Rule #5: Trust nothing and no one: not tape, not disk, nothing. ALWAYS assume every damned thing that can break, will and at the worst possible time.

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/friday-i-want-everyone-sh-tfaced-by-7pm.10468/#post-142206

'Nuff said

Ya thats what I used to do when I had websites I was running. This is what your teachers would teach you in college if you were in web mastering classes. But if your forum has only 1 member and 3 posts.... forget the back up ;)

Top Bottom