1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tag Essentials 1.7.1

Adds key features to make tags better on your site.

1. Stuart Wright
    Compatible XF Versions:
    Use limited to one site per license
    Updates Duration:
    12 Months (Renewal Fee of £15.00 + VAT)
    Canonical/Similar Tags

canonical-synonym list.png canonical-edit.png synonym-edit.png
    • Functionality to build a list of parent (canonical) tags with their children (similar) tags. This will auto convert the similar tags to the canonical tag when one (or more) is used.
      • Admin CP
        • Page listing the canonical tags
        • Page to add/edit a canonical tag
        • Link that opens a modal with the similar tags and the ability to add more.
      • When saving tags on the front end, do not error if they use a similar tag but automatically remove the “similar” tags and replace it with the canonical one.
    Tag Categories
    • This feature can be disabled within the XenForo options page.
    • In the admin panel, you can manage categories.
    • In the admin panel (or on the front end if permissions permit) you can add tags to their category.
    • On the thread view, when a tag is in a category it's removed from the main tags list and added above it in the specific category list.
    • On the tag search page below the tag cloud (if enabled) there will be a new section for each category to show the most popular tags.
    • Categories have ids assigned which can be used for css purposes.

Tag Wiki

tag-view.png tag-view-wiki.png wiki-edit.png
    • On the front end (utilizing front end permissions), so that non-admins can edit the content, have a way to edit (supporting bbcode in the description) the tagline and description of the tag. Also change the front end so aside from showing the list of content that is using that tag, you see the tagline and description of the tag in addition to the list of content using the tag.
      • Permission to manage tag wiki
      • With permission, when viewing the tag page (thread tags | XenForo Community), there’ll be an “Edit” link to manage the tag description and tagline.
      • Provides a tabbed interface to switch between the tag's recent content and the tag wiki description.
      • Can bypass the tabbed interface and show the wiki information above the tag's recent content instead.
    • Optionally pull data directly from wikipedia for newly created tags.
    • Wiki information can also be edited from the admin panel.
    • Use the tags as schema.org keywords to improve SEO.
    Batch Update Threads
    • In the admin panel, when batch updating threads, you can now add or remove tags in addition to all the existing options. When adding a tag, the user that started the thread is credited.
    Tag Suggestions
    • After typing the thread title (when the title loses 'focus'), an ajax request will check to see if any tags are included in the title, if they are then they automatically get added to the tags list (they can be removed and more can also be added).
    • You can set tags for prefixes, when a prefix is selected it will automatically add those tags to the thread tags.
    • You can set tags for nodes, when a new thread is being created in that node the tags will be pre-populated with the tags for that node.
    Blacklist Tags
    • Ability to blacklist specific tags from being used. If a tag is blacklisted and added to content, it'll silently (an error will not be thrown) be removed from the tag list.
    Limit Tags to Nodes
    • Every tag can be limited to a specific set of nodes. For example if you want to allow the tag "Test" to only be used in a test board, you can.
    • If a tag is used in a node that it cannot be used in the system will silently (an error will not be thrown) remove it from the tag list.

Watch Tags
    • With permission (Tagess - Can Watch Tag), users are able to watch tags and receive an alert when new content is added with that tag.
    Forum Default Tags
    • Each forum can have their own set of default tags. If tags are assigned, when a user creates a thread, these tags will be pre populated in tags area (they can be added to or removed). An example can be seen here: http://xenmods.com/threads/test.562/
    RSS Feed Tags
    • RSS feeds can be assigned tags that will be added to each thread created from that feed.
    User Criteria
    • There's been a new option for user criteria for user's that have used at least {x} tags. This can be useful for user promotions and trophies.
    Tag Preview
    • When hovering a tag, you will get a preview popover that displays a snippet of the tag description (from the wiki info), with links to the "recent content", "top users", and "view information" pages. This can be styled differently by editing "tagess.css".

Live Examples From http://www.avforums.com
    Terms And Conditions
    • The original development cost of the add-on was funded by @Stuart Wright of https://www.avforums.com / M2N Ltd.
    • Each license is valid for use on one site.
    • 12 months support renewals are in place; when your support runs up you can continue to use the add on but will not be able to receive updates until you renew it.
    Gemma, Sunka, CyclingTribe and 8 others like this.

Recent Updates

1. Under new management
  2. 1.7.1
  3. 1.7.0

Recent Reviews

1. sami simo
    sami simo
    Version: 1.7.0
    This add-on makes easy to organize and work with tags in xenforo, the developer is very helpful and it was a pleasure to work with him. Thanks Daniel.
  2. ForestForTrees
    Version: 1.6.0
    Truly excellent product. Tagging is terrific for SEO in that it increases the pagerank and anchor text of your best threads. If you are tagging, and you should be, then you need these features.
  3. younes
    Version: 1.4.1
    This add-on is great. now after a week I'm getting better place in search engines
    Beside that, the developer is very supportive
    I'm very happy with my purchase
  4. Axel B
    Axel B
    Version: 1.4.1
    Brilliant addon with necessary additional functionality to make tags even more sweet. Daniel also provides awesome support. Muppet me hit the install button twice by accident and Daniel fixed things for me. Ace!
  5. Freelancer
    Version: 1.3.0
    When an add-on is filling the missing elements of the core, it is legitimate to name it "essential". The "Essential" series of add-ons is a must have for everyone using XenForo. UserEss, TagEss, ConvEss integrate seamlessly into the core and you will forget they are add-ons soon after install.
  6. CyclingTribe
    Version: 1.2.0
    It's worth the price for just the tag synonyms feature - grouping the multiple words and phrases people use for the same things is great; but being able to see WHO created the tags is also essential for my modding team and will allow us to better manage the tag abusers. Thanks. :)
  7. kontrabass
    Version: 1.1.1
    With a board nearing 17M posts, I'm a big fan of all of Daniel's Essentials series of add-ons, and this one is no exception. After one day of it installed, I've done so much tag cleanup, and it's been a breeze. Instead of tags for 5 string bass guitars being spread across "5-string", "5string", "5-strings", "Fiver", etc etc etc., there is now ONE tag to UNIFY THEM ALL! :) The best part is that with synonyms, if a user still wants to use a weird tag like "Fiver", that's cool, it's automatically tagged with the main tag for 5-string basses. Thanks Daniel and Stuart!
    1. Stuart Wright
      Author's Response
      Thank you for the review and compliments. I'm glad the add-on is benefiting your community. :)
  8. Stuart Wright
    Stuart Wright
    Version: 1.0.0
    I'm bound to like this as I had a big hand in designing it! Our experience comes from running a big forum, though, so I think the addon serves larger forums well. The canonical+synonym element allows us to control the common tags important for SEO and new thread tag suggestions means users are prompted to use relevant tags when it's important. aniel has done a great job creating this addon.
    1. Stuart Wright
      Author's Response
      Thank you for your review. I'm glad you're happy with how it turned out. Hopefully other people enjoy it as well.