- Compatible XF 1.x versions
- 1.4, 1.5
- Additional requirements
- Chat by Siropu
- Updates duration
- Visible branding
The Chat Markenator is an extension of Chat by Siropu which enables the ability to mask shout messages with a replacement character, such as an asterisk. Options exist to choose the replacement character, and which buzzwords/keywords shouldn't be masked. XenForo usergroup permissions are used to determine which groups should be affected by this addon.
Thanks goes to @Mark.B for the idea, for whom this addon is named, and @Siropu , for his easily extendable Chat add-on.
Chat announcements and user mentions are not affected by this addon. Links in chat are replaced with [link], images are replaced with [image], and quotes are replaced with [quoted].
By enabling this addon for guests, you can change your Chat permissions so that guests can view chat activity without giving them the ability to see chat messages. This may encourage visitors to register on your forum.
This add-on is especially useful to forums that have more chat activity than forum activity.
Chat by Siropu is required for this add-on to function. Practically any version should work.
This add-on has no call backs, and has no branding.
For a limited time, this add-on is available to any registered member of the BASH.zone
Currently, this add-on is used on BASH.zone.
- Upload the "library" folder to your xenforo root folder on your server.
- Install the add-on with the included addon-chat_markenator.xml file via the XenForo admin interface.
- Visit the options and look for the "Chat Markenator" option, and click on it.
- Follow the option descriptions, such as setting a replacement character, and setting any keywords you'd like to use.
- Visit your usergroup permissions in XenForo's admin interface, you'll want to set the "View the Chat" and "Enable Chat Markenator" permissions to "Yes", for any usergroup that you want affected by this addon, e.g. Unregistered/Unconfirmed usergroups, etc.
What visitors (or any selected usergroup) see:
What members see:
- There is an issue when a chat message is edited, it is temporarily displayed un-masked until a refresh is performed.
- Related resources
- Chat by Siropu