1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GoodForNothing Image Optimizer 1.0.2 Update 1

Compress/Optimize attached images to increase loading speed and reduce disk space usage...

1. Mr. Goodie2Shoes
    Compatible XF Versions:
    Additional Requirements:
    PHP 5.3.7 or later.
    PHP cURL support.
    PHP proc_open support.
    PHP EXIF support.
    Commercially Licensed (One site per subscription)
    Updates Duration:
    Yearly Renewal (USD 10 per year)
    Visible Branding:
    How to Buy
    Please read the FAQ :)

Note: There is an incompatibility between the new version of GFNIo and the current version of GFNClassifieds because these two add-ons use two different versions of GFNCore. Those who are running GFNClassifieds on their site, please hold on till this is fixed.

GoodForNothing Image Optimizer is an itelligent little add-on that optimizes/compresses attached images on your board. There are currently five third-party handlers that are used by the add-on to optimize the images:

Why should I use an image optimizer?
    If you are running a board where a lot of images are uploaded. You will know that amount of disk space and bandwidth your site needs. And this add-on helps you by reducing the overall size of these images, which in return makes the site load faster and reduce the disk space and bandwidth that your site needs. Of course there's always an opportunity cost for everything, and in this case a little bit of degradation of image quality. But do note that if you enable lossless compression, the degradation is practically invisible to the naked eyes. Not believing? Check out my sample image below and spot the difference!

Case Studies
    These are the sites that I know uses GFNKraken and the results are derived from when the first rebuild was performed. If you want to add your own site let me know :)
    These are from GFNKraken:

• www.physicsforums.com/ - Processed around 57k images, saved 1.3GB of disk space resulting in 42% reduction.
    • z22se.co.uk/ - Processed around 46k images, saved 8.8GB of disk space resulting in 56% reduction.
    • xfuniverse.com/ - Processed 583 images, saved 12.6MB of disk space resulting in 27% reduction.
    • www.mu-43.com/ - Processed 73k images, saved 14.7GB of disk space resulting in 55% reduction.
    • www.slingshotcommunity.com/ - Processed 13k images, saved 891MB of disk space resulting in 17% reduction.
    • www.controlbooth.com/ - Processed 14k images, saved 4.4GB of disk space resulting in 77% reduction.
    • www.r3owners.net/ - Processed 20k images, saved 2.9GB of disk space resulting in 28% reduction.
    • www.thelureforum.com/ - Processed 35k images, saved 10.4GB of disk space resulting in 71% reduction.
    • www.clubpromos.fr/forum/ - Processed 29k images, saved 699MB of disk space resulting in 37% reduction.
    • www.survivalmonkey.com/ - Processed 44k images, saved 5.6GB of disk space resulting in 67% reduction.
    • www.talkbass.com/ - Processed 453k images, saved 134.9GB of disk space resulting in 55% reduction.
    • www.caviaforum.nl/ - Processed 112k images, saved 24.4GB of disk space.
    • www.oakleyforum.com/ - Processed 250k images, saved 56GB of disk space resulting in 55% reduction.
    • www.akvakertesz.hu/ - Processed 19k images, saved 1.3GB of disk space resulting in 22% reduction.
    These are from GFNImageOptimizer (the newest edition):
    • mainecoon.nl/forum/ - Processed around 76k images, saved 1.1GB of disk space resulting in 24% reduction.

Should I use a local application or an online service?
    This depends mainly on you really. Online services compress images with a higher degree of accuracy as they have their algorithms to provide better quality compressions. And these come with a price of course. On-site/local applications are free to use but wont provide the same quality as the online ones. If you want a suggestion I would say to go with one of the online ones if you can afford it. :)

Difference in sizes with Kraken.IO:

Spot the difference:
    One is the original image, one has a lossless compression and one has lossy compression.

There are currently two usable mechanisms to handle the process of compressing the images:
    • If you enable deferred processing the images will be enqueued as soon as they are uploaded and will be processed when the deferred.php is called.
      I would suggest to use GoodForNothing Shell Defer for better performance.
    • The other one is in real-time. That means images will be compressed as soon as they are uploaded. The only downside is that the visitor will experience a delay in response (which is not good).
    Supported add-ons:
    Other add-ons will be added upon request. So if you want to see support for any particular add-on let me know! :D

1. Download and extract the package.
    2. Upload everything from the 'upload' folder to your forum's root directory.
    3. Import the XML file named 'addon-GFNIo.xml' from your AdminCP.
    4. Voila! :D
    All the available options can be found at AdminCP -> Applications -> Image Optimizer -> System Options.
    All the options are properly explained to prevent any confusions. And are separated into pages to give you more flexibility.
    1.png 2.png

Once you've set up the add-on for the first you can rebuild your old attachments.
    To do that, go to: AdminCP -> Applications -> Image Optimizer -> Rebuild Images.

Do note that if you have a lot of attachments it will take a lot time to process them all. According to tests done by @MattW it took ~45 minutes to process ~800 attachments. Your milage may vary depending on which handler is being used.

You can access everything related to the application from AdminCP -> Applications -> GoodForNothing Image Optimizer.
    6.png 3.png 4.png 5.png 7.png 8.png

Note to CloudFlare Users
    There is a timeout set by CloudFlare on processes that take more than 100 seconds (Enterprise plans have a limit of 300 seconds). So for doing the first run, you can bypass (Grey Cloud) CF's CDN proxy for your site to prevent any unexpected timeout errors during the rebuild. And once the rebuild is done, you can again enable CF's CDN for your site. :)

License Agreement
    Upon purchase you agree to our License Agreement (which is not available at this moment, but is more or less the same as XenForo's).

The tl;dr of our license agreement is:
    You are not allowed to redistribute the package under any circumstances and/or in any form and you can use one subscription on one site only. If you want to use this add-on on another site of yours, you have to purchase a new subscription.
    Robru, Mark3121, ir4mt and 3 others like this.

Recent Reviews

1. Axel B
    Axel B
    Version: 1.0.1 Update 3
    Excellen addon! Highly recommended! Setting things up is straight forward. I saved 25% storage on my 76K images on my forum. Really sweet! Avoid using Optimus.IO - it reduces size poorly. Go for Kraken.IO - excellent results!
    1. Mr. Goodie2Shoes
      Author's Response
      Thanks for the review. I believe this is the main reason of such difference in the pricing of Kraken.IO and Optimus.IO. One really knows what they are doing ;)
  2. viktorlantos
    Version: 1.1.2
    Awesome add-on! We had over 19K images on our site and the site become slower and slower each day because of the large files on every page. Used the tool with Kraken.io and tool around 8 hours to optimize all the images. Now the site is blazing fast again and the mobile browsing is a joy. Great stuff if you host your images. Can not wait the future versions. Keep up the good work!
    1. Mr. Goodie2Shoes
      Author's Response
      Thanks for the review :)
  3. OakleyForum
    Optimized ~250K Attachments with 90% quality using jpegoptim saving 55% (108GB to 52GB). Cannot believe how massive of a change this made. Previously had a lot of huge bloated files (~5mb), this shrunk many of them down to ~200kb with no noticeable change in quality! Ran through all these deferred with not front-end impact. This needs to be built into the XF Core!

Cannot wait for the next iteration!
    1. Mr. Goodie2Shoes
      Author's Response
      Thank you for the review. Glad that the app is still functioning properly and helping the masses. :)
  4. clubpromos
    Keeps saving me lots of space and bandwidth, one of the best addons. Support was also really great. For those who use pull CDN's like I do, don[t forget to clear the CDN cache from time to time so that the optimized version of the file is stored in edge servers.
    1. Mr. Goodie2Shoes
      Author's Response
      Thanks for the review. Maybe I should include your suggestion for clearing the CDN cache on the resource description. :D
  5. Anthony Parsons
    Anthony Parsons
    A truly simple, effective image optimisation and compression tool. Using only the built-in jpegoptim option, I downsized my sites images by 6.2Gb. Using SSD drives, that matters. Highly recommended for anyone running larger forums or image intensive ones.
    1. Mr. Goodie2Shoes
      Author's Response
      Thanks for the review. I'm glad that this add-on is helping out a lot of forum admins. :)
  6. kontrabass
    This add-on has saved us 110GB (so far), which is HUGE considering our SSD RAID array is 512GB total. We're not using Kraken, but rather using the jpegoptim binary locally. Originally 245G of attachments, now down to 129G and still processing. Using 65 max quality setting (have to look VERY closely to spot any image quality reduction). Can't say enough about this add-on.

One suggestion: Would suggest changing the add-on name to something more generic like 'Attachment Optimization', since Kraken is not required (nor cost-effective when one has hundreds of gigs worth of images to compress). The local jpegoptim option is where it's at! :)
    1. Mr. Goodie2Shoes
      Author's Response
      So, a total reduction of 134.9GB... nice! :D
      And yes, the next major version (2.0.0) will be renamed to GoodForNothing Image Optimizer... I went with kraken since the initial version used kraken.io's service to compress the images... :)
  7. melbo
    We installed GFN Kraken and ran a local jpegoptim batch process on ~44,750 images (jpeg) for a reduction of 5.6GB :)
    This compressed threads and XF media gallery images at max=65 which was a happy compromise between quality and size. Before batch processing, we ran tests of an original 8.5MB image and then cut it by 95, 85, 75, etc down to 35 and had our premium members vote on which was the lowest we could go before they saw noticeable degradation. Very happy! Now for local .png support...

To emphasize, we are not using kraken at all and our bulk compression (on our local server) only took a couple of hours
    1. Mr. Goodie2Shoes
      Author's Response
      Thanks for the review :)
      Can you tell me how the percentage of reduction so that I can add your site in the "Case Studies" section? :)
  8. Adam H
    Adam H
    Version: 1.1.1
    Great Addon, Will save some serious space on Backup retention, 71% Saved is unreal really. Just saved me 10GB : Overall, you have optimized 14.6 GB of images (34.96 thousand files) saving 10.38 GB (71%) total file size.
    1. Mr. Goodie2Shoes
      Author's Response
      Nice stats you got there! :D
  9. motowebmaster
    Version: 1.0.5
    Worth the Investment! Regain disk space, please your users, simplify your life, and give the world quicker-loading pages. Test using all of the available settings before doing the rebuild.
    1. Mr. Goodie2Shoes
      Author's Response
      Thanks for the review! :D
      Glad that you liked my work. Positive reviews motivates us on creating more productive stuff. Keep 'em coming!! :D
  10. Amin Sabet
    Amin Sabet
    Version: 1.0.2 Update 2
    This addon saved me 14.7GB of precious disk space on my server SSD. I used jpegoptim at 90% max image quality without kraken.io. It was a greater than 50% reduction, and there was no noticeable effect to image quality. Very stable and highly recommended!
    1. Mr. Goodie2Shoes
      Author's Response
      Live long and prosper. :D
      14.7GB is really a lot when it comes to SSD. :)