1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[fgX] Discussion Preview 3.8.1

Shows a preview of the first or the last post of a discussion/thread. Now supports previewing images

1. farang
    Compatible XF Versions:
    License:
    Each installation requires a separate license.
    Updates Duration:
    Unlimited for XenForo 1.x
    Visible Branding:
    No
    Reader engagement is important to all publishers. The information overload of the internet makes website readers become lazy. If they can't find what they’re looking for instantly they'll head off in another direction. As a reviewer said ''People used to Facebook won't spend their time clicking on titles to see your content.''

Give them better reasons to click and they’re more likely to keep browsing your forum.

This add-on shows a preview of the first post alternatively the last post (individually selectable per thread listing type) of threads in various places of your forum.

Below is an example of how this add-on can be used together with the free add-on [fgX] Clean and Simple Thread Lists (As You see, it will help the discussion list look more clean, here all data in a single column)

combined_example.png

Below is an example of this add-on used without the add-on [fgX] Clean and Simple Thread Lists

example.png

Optionally this add-on can also show thumbnails for images attached to the thread. (The whole thread or from the previewed post only). It will for sure attract your visitors attention immediately. Clicking a thumbnail will open up the full sized image in a Lightbox overlay.

Supported thread listings:
    • Forum list (When listing threads for a specific forum)
    • Watched Threads
    You can choose in what positions of your forum discussion preview shall apply. You may also exclude certain forums from discussion previewing (in single forum view only) if you wish.

The discussion preview text is stripped from message quotes, URLs (optionally), ATTACH, IMG, MEDIA and SPOILER tags. Smilies will show.

This add-on introduces the following options (set within Admin Control Panel => Options => [fgX] Discussion Preview:

options1.png options2.png options3.png option3.png

This add-on also introduces a user option so that individual users can opt out from having discussion previews.

Below is an example what discussion previews may look like (without image previewing):

View attachment 126664

This add-on has its own Style Property in Admin Control Panel-> Appearance -> Style Properties -> [fgX] Discussion Preview . You can customize the look of the preview text and it will be persistent after an upgrade.
    sp.png
    Related Resources:
    Many customers use this add-on together with [fgX] Clean and Simple Thread Lists (which is free).

Images

1. previewing_images.png
    PyroM, Kintaro, worrorfight and 7 others like this.

Recent Reviews

1. imno007
    imno007
    5/5,
    Version: 3.7.2
    To paraphrase the review I left for farang's Clean and Simple Threads List addon, I'm surprised that with all the people on the XF2 thread bemoaning a lack of Facebook/social media options, more of them aren't grabbing this addon. Between the two of them you can at least get a lot of the LOOK of a social media site going on. Support has been great, and Farang has been quick to implement many of the features users have asked for, including one of my own. Keep up the good work, farang!
    1. farang
      Author's Response
      Thank you imno007, I wholeheartedly appreciate your review. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
  2. BassMan
    BassMan
    5/5,
    Extremely useful add-on with many features. Developer also listens to suggestions or help you out with specific problem. I'm using also some of developers other add-ons which are highly important for my forum. They all suit my needs and owrks perfect.

Nice to cooperate with you, @farang. Keep on and thank you!
    1. farang
      Author's Response
      Thanks BassMan for Your support! Wishing You a nice summer! ;)
  3. rafass
    rafass
    1/5,
    This addon doesn't work in some important templates like tag_view and search_results [important]. Very disappointed also with other performance issues and other bugs and principally due the bad support on this days.
  4. vij
    vij
    5/5,
    Version: 3.7.0
    I feel grateful. It has made a tangible functional and aesthetic improvement to my forum. I have not got this much satisfaction using the more convoluted and expensive "portal addons" on XF. Thank you. Brilliant!
    1. farang
      Author's Response
      Thanks! ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>
  5. PyroM
    PyroM
    5/5,
    Version: 3.6.1
    Beautiful page design, informative content preview for the users - and very fast support. Just great, thanks!
    1. farang
      Author's Response
      Thank You! ☁ ▅▒░☼‿☼░▒▅ ☁
  6. rafass
    rafass
    5/5,
    Version: 3.4.1
    [fgX] Discussion Preview is like a portal. Even better, really. Usually portals are heavy, expensive and complicated addons, but this one have a lot of great features and it looks clean and nice. plus, @farang is a great developer but is also a very kind person and he's permanently listening suggestions and improving his products. 10000% reccomended. ★★★★★
    1. farang
      Author's Response
      Thanks @rafass for Your review! It made me very happy to read ;)
  7. SelfSufficientMe
    SelfSufficientMe
    5/5,
    Version: 3.4.1
    I have just installed this and I REALLY like the look! You can't help but read the preview text and I'm sure this will entice more people to click through to the thread. The mini image preview thumbs are surprisingly minimal but again I love the look. What a great idea to enhance forums and entice more participation. Well done :)
    1. farang
      Author's Response
      ٩(- ̮̮̃-̃)۶ Thanks!
  8. CFodder
    CFodder
    5/5,
    Version: 3.0.1
    Wondered about getting this mod, checked out the thread and was highly impressed with the authors response to bugs and feature requests, second to none, so I purchased it and am very happy with it. Keep up the great work Farang :).
    1. farang
      Author's Response
      Thank You for the kind words @CFodder ;)
  9. BassMan
    BassMan
    5/5,
    Version: 1.3.0
    Extremely useful add-on to see the preview of duscussions on several locations like recent post, forum view and more. Thank you for listening to suggestions, farang.
    1. farang
      Author's Response
      Thanks @BassMan for Your review and all the stars!!! ;)
  10. Axel B
    Axel B
    5/5,
    Version: 1.2.0
    I found this little gem yesterday. Works as designed. I fully agree with the comments of sami simo, people are used to Facebook and won't spend time clicking on titles to see the content. IMHO this functionality should be in the Xenforo core. Keep up the good work!
    1. farang
      Author's Response
      Thanks @AxelB ;)