Forum Organization

cmeinck

One of my forums is related to the iPhone. Over time, I've created forum categories for each model. As you can imagine, this is getting a bit unruly. I also think that it might hinder discussions a bit. While someone who has an iPhone 4 might take part in a topic related to an iPhone 3S, they aren't likely going to make their way to that particular forum. There are SEO benefits to have separate forums, but I've found the results are minimal.

I've solicited feedback from my readers. I've only got a few responses, so it's far from a critical mass supporting the move. Once I move everything, there is no turning back.

I was thinking I could use the thread prefixes to help with the move to one giant hardware discussion forum.

What are your thoughts? Should I make the move? Is there an easy way to migrate a large number of topics from one category to another?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Threads can be mass moved from one forum to another quite easily with SQL queries; I did it when I imported my phpBB3 forum.
Code:
UPDATE xf_thread
SET node_id = 4
WHERE node_id = 2

Threads can be mass moved from one forum to another quite easily with SQL queries; I did it when I imported my phpBB3 forum.
Code:
UPDATE xf_thread
SET node_id = 4
WHERE node_id = 2

Do you think that would confuse Google or no? The URL's remain the same, but there wouldn't be any redirects. I guess I could create redirects for the top level category and that would be sufficient.

How does this influence using Kier's vB re-direct scripts? If you moved threads to a new node, would the re-direct still work?
Having moved some threads myself from one forum to new forum... I would say the redirect will work. It doesn't matter where you moved your threads, that /thread/thread-name-here stays the same. The only thing that's different is where you put your thread. ;)

How does this influence using Kier's vB re-direct scripts? If you moved threads to a new node, would the re-direct still work?
As I stated in my post above, forums are not part of the URL so moving threads around doesn't change the URL at all.

I get what you're saying with this, but as Brogan stated, even with the redirect table in the DB from a VB import, the redirect is still pointing to the thread already, which doesn't use a forum indicator like VB and other forum software does, so it eliminates this issue from XF at the import stage.

If XF used forum identifiers prefixing threads, like other softwares do, then yes, it would screw with everything.

This is why I assume XF doesn't use such markers and have pulled forums and threads apart from one another for that exact reason... so you can move things around without affecting the URL, ever... unless you go change the thread title, which would change the URL portion using friendly URL's.

One of my forums is related to the iPhone. Over time, I've created forum categories for each model. As you can imagine, this is getting a bit unruly. I also think that it might hinder discussions a bit. While someone who has an iPhone 4 might take part in a topic related to an iPhone 3S, they aren't likely going to make their way to that particular forum.
I have previously suggested a few tweaks to help that.
There are SEO benefits to have separate forums, but I've found the results are minimal.
Interesting. Any data to support it ?

I also think that it might hinder discussions a bit.
Why ?

I have previously suggested a few tweaks to help that.

Why ?

Sorry, I won't share data. Trust me, if it were working, I wouldn't considering changing things.

Too many categories -- too much digging. I think the K.I.S.S theory applies to forums. In my particular situation, questions relative to an iPhone 3GS, might also be answered or discussed by someone with a different model.

When the iphone 5 comes out , you might want subforums ?

I've already got an iPhone 5 forum. It ranks very well for 'iPhone 5 forums'.

From my viewpoint, I think a central iPhone forum for all models is more user-centric. I completely understand the SEO benefits -- I think some sites in my category are overplaying the SEO card. The result are fragmented categories/discussion and what I see as limited organic traffic.

It DOES work.

For example, if you had a URL structure that looks like this: SiteName/forums/iphone4.15/ Whoever searches Iphone 4, will go directly to that specific forum, especially if the URL ranks high on search engines such as google.

I would make the old models a subforum of a forum called "Iphone," and the new one displayable on forumhome [below the "Iphone" forum]. Everytime a new model is released, put the the featured new model into the "iphone" forum, then make a new forum based on the new model release. Rinse and repeat until you feel like consolidating the threads into a single iphone forum.

It DOES work.

For example, if you had a URL structure that looks like this: SiteName/forums/iphone4.15/ Whoever searches Iphone 4, will go directly to that specific forum, especially if the URL ranks high on search engines such as google.

I would make the old models a subforum of a forum called "Iphone," and the new one displayable on forumhome [below the "Iphone" forum]. Everytime a new model is released, put the the featured new model into the "iphone" forum, then make a new forum based on the new model release. Rinse and repeat until you feel like consolidating the threads into a single iphone forum.

You are missing my point. Is it effective for search engines. Yes. That doesn't translate to a great user experience.

You have to weigh the tradeoff of a highly effective URL/traffic gained vs user experience.

You are missing my point. Is it effective for search engines. Yes. That doesn't translate to a great user experience.

You have to weigh the tradeoff of a highly effective URL/traffic gained vs user experience.
I say there is no trade off. The users will love what you've done. But hey, it's your choice.

The users won't care about what you do with regards to forum organization.

Condense it so that [I am using example here]:

Iphone
- Subforum: Iphone
- Subforum: Iphone 2
- Subforum: Iphone 3
- Subforum: Iphone 4
Iphone 4S [New forum/New node]

The subforums won't display unless you hover over it (xenforo), or unless you enable it (vb3/4).

When I transferred CODForums from vB4, to xenforo, I changed organization, so that there's a single video forum for the Call of Duty forum. And it is accompanied by their respective title forum.

Call of Duty Media
- Subforum: MW3 Vids
- Subforum: MW2 Vids
- Subforum: WAW Vids
- Subforum: Black Ops Vids
- Subforum: COD4 Vids

Ya see where I'm going with this?

I say there is no trade off. The users will love what you've done. But hey, it's your choice.

The users won't care about what you do with regards to forum organization.

Condense it so that [I am using example here]:

Iphone
- Subforum: Iphone
- Subforum: Iphone 2
- Subforum: Iphone 3
- Subforum: Iphone 4
Iphone 4S [New forum/New node]

The subforums won't display unless you hover over it (xenforo), or unless you enable it (vb3/4).

In my experience, that's worse, especially when using a mobile device. From a site owner's perspective, it certainly makes sense. A nice, neat tree organization. In fact, it's exactly how I had it set up. People did not like digging.

Hm. Mobile device. I dunno.

People did not like digging - well, let the iphone forum be open to discussion. For all models. And then, when the thread has outlived it's stay, go ahead and move it into the specific forum related to it. As it is, you want to condense the forums so that you can make room for other cellphone products to be displayed.

Other than that, I'm only advising what I know. But if you think that's bad, then that's your choice, or perspective.

Hm. Mobile device. I dunno.

People did not like digging - well, let the iphone forum be open to discussion. For all models. And then, when the thread has outlived it's stay, go ahead and move it into the specific forum related to it. As it is, you want to condense the forums so that you can make room for other cellphone products to be displayed.

Other than that, I'm only advising what I know. But if you think that's bad, then that's your choice, or perspective.

Believe me, it's a tough step for me. Here's my first forum. As you can see, it's set up exactly that way. Every forum I've built has had a similar setup.

With my iPhone forum, it's getting to be ridiculous with the SEO play. Myself included, with my iPad 3 and iPhone 5 forums. I might as well start an iPhone 6 forum and an iPhone 7 forum, if I were to continue the trend. :) I'm hoping that I won't see any severe adverse affects from Google and that users enjoy the new simple category format.

Top Bottom