Xenforo & Wordpress Bridge

Deepmartini

Everyone knows the crap forum called BBpress is like the ugly stepchild of Wordpress, left alone and abandoned. SimplePressForum (a Wordpress Plugin) is a good start but doesn't have the "wow" factor but integrates perfectly with Wordpress.

If Xenforo could release a Wordpress plugin that has full integration with Wordpress including all user information and a single login, it would be a POWERHOUSE. Do you know how many Wordpress sites want to add a forum to their site but can't?

Any mods like this coming?

Upvote 46
You either will wait a super long time or forever.
Be thankful there are excellent solutions available now.
xenscripts.com 's bridge is great.

Will wait for the reasons stated above.

1) How long will this be developed for
2) How stable will this remain
3) Will it keep current

Features need

Log-in via XenForo
Log-in via WordPress
Register on either XenForo or WordPress equals 1 users for both (joint registration)
Joint permission settings
XenForo users can post blog post
Sync and display XenForo avatars within WordPress
Sync and display WordPress avatars within XenForo

You are better to make your requests known at xenscripts.com

How long have vBulletin users been waiting for the vB.com Wordpress bridge ?

The xenscripts bridge is top notch.

You are better to make your requests known at xenscripts.com

How long have vBulletin users been waiting for the vB.com Wordpress bridge ?

The xenscripts bridge is top notch.

vBulletin has had 13 WordPress Bridges in the past .... All except for 1 of them have been abandoned.

It's currently developed officially for vBulletin 3, but does currently work on vBulletin 4.1.10. Support however is limited to none, as it is done as a 3rd party modification and the developer's time is very limited (and far in between).

..... The more you know ;)

vBulletin has had 13 WordPress Bridges in the past .... All except for 1 of them have been abandoned.

I was thinking about this today when looking at the xenscripts bridge.
My planning goes out at least 3-5 years and preferably 10...my site has been up for 17 years.

I just cannot build something on an add-on which may be here today and gone next year!

There may be some solution to this. On one hand, you could have it as core.....or you could have an officially backed add-on, where if the author stopped writing and supporting it, XF would agree to update it or take it over.

Other than that, the only solution I can think of is an open source model (with donations) where the source code is shared and a number of folks have enough interest in it going on...that one feels fairly confident the basics will work.

In my case, the basic setup (login to XF, then you are logged into WP) would probably do the job. XF would be the forum, WP would be articles, QA, reviews and other stuff.

The Xenscripts mod ONLY goes from Xenforo to Wordpress. If you want to make use of Wordpress as your "home" page and Xenforo as your "forum", then this makes no sense because it's using the Xenforo user base.

There needs to be a mod that allows the Wordpress userbase to be used and synced with Xenforo, so that people can make use of the many Wordpress plugins which need access to the userbase such as membership management plugins like Wishlist Member or Memberwing.

If the Xenscripts mod allowed syncing between both it would be a great feature to have and he would sell many, many copies. I mentioned this before but none of the developers on the forums here seem interested in pursuing this, which is a shame. They are thinking too "forum centric" and not seeing the bigger picture and HUGE opportunity for them.

If the Xenscripts mod allowed syncing between both it would be a great feature to have and he would sell many, many copies. I mentioned this before but none of the developers on the forums here seem interested in pursuing this, which is a shame. They are thinking too "forum centric" and not seeing the bigger picture and HUGE opportunity for them.
I guess it depends on the community. It turns out that, even against my plans, the forums have become a vast percentage of my traffic and mojo - so the sign on there is fine!

In fact, I tend to almost never sign up for sites other than forums.

It's currently developed officially for vBulletin 3, but does currently work on vBulletin 4.1.10. Support however is limited to none, as it is done as a 3rd party modification and the developer's time is very limited (and far in between).

Well, you'll be saddened that, so far, xenforo has decided to replicate vBorg. Which will likely just encourage the same problems.

My point was vB.com never released a bridge. So, you'd still be waiting under your current demands.

Well, you'll be saddened that, so far, xenforo has decided to replicate vBorg. Which will likely just encourage the same problems.

My point was vB.com never released a bridge. So, you'd still be waiting under your current demands.

You would be incorrect.

In fact that is the one which continued development. It was released originally for vBulletin 3.6 and upgraded for vBulletin 3.8. After the 3.8 release, the develop continued support on his own site, which produced an "un-official" 4.x bridge as well.
http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=205388

At current it seems to work with the newest vBulletin & WordPress.

For now it might just make sense to go with aMember and use that as a bridge that will suit your needs as it will sync both ways through aMember. You don't have to charge for memberships either although that's its purpose. All registrations need to go through aMember, obviously, but as mentioned, it'll synch all the accounts out from there.

We use it to synch accounts across Wordpress, ExpressionEngine, Drupal, and vBulletin (soon to be XF) without a hitch, all on one server, one site.

Ray

You would be incorrect. http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=205388

My point was the vBulletin.com never made a vB to WP bridge.
You said you wanted a bridge made by Xenforo as an official addon.
You'll probably wait forever if you want that.

just started using wordpress this month and iagree, its an incredible CMS. Id love to integrate my xenforo stuff to the main page sidebar.

Latest threads
Latest Uploaded images (in a thread and also user album)
Today's Events (when we get a calendar)

You can do some of this with RSS widgets, but yes, clearly a full-fledged bridge would be optimal.

I would like to suggest to add official bridge beetwen Wordpress and Xenforo. There are some addons on the market right now but they are not that good, support is not always there and from my experience i had lot of issues and i am still not able to use it as i wanted.

My minimal requirements are

1. Posts created in Wordpres must be copied as new threads in Xenforo
2. Comments made via Wordpress are copied into proper Xenforo thread
3. Comments made via Xenforo are copied into proper Wordpress post comment

Perfect situation:

1. Any update on post on XF or WP is synced in both ways
2. Any update on comment on XF or WP is synced in both ways
3. User actions are synced between XF and WP.
4. User managment is synced between XF and WP.

I saw that a lot of people are looking/waiting for this so maybe you could try to add this in next version

I also would be very much interested in this add-on. If anyone out there knows about a new add-on that does this, I would appreciate the information.

@def - I'm a little perplexed by your posting. You received a free copy of XenWord so you could test but you don't have a testing environment. Instead you went on a live server but the details aren't clear enough to figure out why you had trouble. I have guesses but it's too difficult to track down the issue you had with the plugin without specifics. I would have gladly looked but once you described your file structure then it's probably moot. XenWord is probably not the answer but without really spending time then it's an unknown. It's all just conjecture.

The key for your site is the structure of your directories and files. Your setup is very different from anyone else I've seen and so your post has misleading conclusions. You'd be better served to explain your structure, otherwise someone might misunderstand some of your statements. I'm sure you mean well so I'm just trying to help clarify some things in case others see this thread.

Now for anyone else in this thread ....

A bridge is very challenging to support because of the infinite numbers of combinations. Someone can install the bridge and poof - done. They are happy campers. Others can install it and take hours - usually due to an incorrect assumption or an environment unsupported. Interestingly - as I add support for one setup - someone else comes along with an altogether different setup. This doesn't mean XenWord will not eventually support your setup - but anyone really wanting a bridge should find it easier to keep things simple and be done with it.

What do I mean by easy?

WP in the root
XF in /community

Bang ! - Done. XenWord works like a charm :)

Features working on sites but not as a default in XenWord - Disqus integration, WP to XF integration, multiple servers, synchronized user management, etc. This is because others used XenWord as a base and added features. Heck, MattW just fixed my setup which is now spread out over four servers (cool stuff !) and XenWord is purring right along.

Finally, I'm also a fan of xfrocks. His bridge has worthy features too. Any questions about XenWord should go into the XenWord thread. Any questions about xfrocks bridge should go there.

I guess my angst is that this thread should have died years ago because it has old information in it as well as bad information in it. ;)

@LPH Thanks for reply mate. Please don`t get me wrong. I wasn't actually talking about your plugin but the one I paid for from someone else. I bought some plugins and they simply don`t work as expected and have some bugs that make it difficult for me to use as i want. I am not a developer, so if things don't work i can`t just adjust them on my own and make them work.

For the one i received from you, I still want to give it a shot one more time. As for the support, you been more then helpful and i was actually very surprised by your level of professionalism. That`s the reason why i will buy your bridge.

The only reason for my post was just to show Xenoforo guys that bridge is needed and it would be great if this would be official add-on to the forum.

Cheers

I would help fund a true and supported Xenforo / Wordpress integration. I have sent a wishlist to the team at Xenforo... seems no one is interested. Wordpress isn't the most popular CMS and blog platform on the planet for no reason. Really missing the opportunity reach millions of site owners who would love the opportunity to run a Wordpress front end and a solid forum like Xenforo all seemingly the same experience.

Top Bottom