Not planned XenForo Upgrade Package

• Thread starter Thread starter ragtek
  • Start date Start date
R

ragtek

It would be cool, if we could download a upgrade package without zf if there are no changes in the zf version.
It's unnecessery to upload & overwrite all the files

Best scenario would be:

On the download page we could have a field "current version from which you want to upgrade"

Then the system checks, if a ZF upgrade in necessery or not, if not, don't pack it into the package:)

Upvote 3
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
What do you want to do?
The ZF is already in the b1 so it's imho not needed for the upgrade to b4
If there are some new components, it would be needed...

So don't know what you mean

His point is if ZF changed, but it didn't change in the previous version, then you have a problem.

The upgrade package isn't about reducing the time to upload. To do that, you at least need to know the version you're upgrading from. It's about removing files/directories that should only very rarely be overwritten.

That approach would potentially require a different upgrade package for each combination, depending on which files change:
B1 -> B2
B1 -> B3
B1 -> B4
B2 -> B3
B3 -> B4
etc.

And as Mike said, the user would need to know the current version and then select the correct upgrade package.

A lot of extra work to create those packages in the first place and a recipe for disaster IMO.

I don't mean the xenforo files, i mean only the ZF directory.

But ok, it seems that nobody know, what i mean here

I don't mean the xenforo files, i mean only the ZF directory.

I assume you mean not to include the Zend Framework files in the upgrade package?

I repeat what has been said if that were the case: take this scenario. You have three releases, R1, R2 and R3. You are currently on R1. R2 comes out, but you did not upgrade to it. Additionally, R2 comes with changes to the Zend Framework.

R3 comes out, and you want to upgrade to it. You try to upgrade R3 directly from R1, and you find a few things broken, because stuff that was in R2 was not updated on your installation, as you did not upgrade to R2: as the upgrade package did not include the necessary Zend Framework files/edits.

Everyone is clear on what you want but for the reasons Mike, I and Shamil have posted it's a lot of extra work and the potential risk to the end user is great due to uploading the wrong package for their current build.

No disrespect, but maybe when those who want special upgrade packages create their own forum, they can do it their way.
Upgrades from beta1-> beta2-> beta3-> beta4 have never been so easy.
I really don't see any problem.
For years we've been overwriting files and not removing unused files.

I just want the upgrade package to not include old images like logo, favicon, etc... I accidentally overwrote mine :(
lol so did i.. Not a common mistake on my part but it happened the other day. It took me all of five minutes to replace my custom images.. I decided to go the extra step and rename my custom images and changed the url's in the acp to reflect the change.. I should be ok if i forget next time..

Just have a package of changed (or added) files ?

Only provide such a package for the previous version to the current version - any other scenario would require you to use the full package.

Using the full package for an upgrade would overwrite the .htaccess file, removing any edits which have been made.

The /data and /internal_data directories are also not included in the upgrade package and the install-lock file is stored in the latter.

Top Bottom