Not planned Who replied to a thread - Responsive Design

Moshe1010

Currently, only the username of the thread starter is showen, but it would be very useful to see who was the last one to comment on every thread:

3333.webp

Upvote 0
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
I've been debating this with myself since 1.2 was installed here. They've made it more obvious (originally right under the thread start date) as a reply date.

I think I finally decided I prefer this one, personally.

There's only so much we can do in 320 pixels, some information will need to be removed. The last poster name may have some value, but not as much as the last post date.

Agreed. I don't care who posted last personally. When the last post was is more important IMHO.

<insert crazy rant about how responsive design doesn't mean dropping content and means restyling it so it fits regardless... or not ;)>

I don't care about the last poster so much either.

<insert crazy rant about how responsive design doesn't mean dropping content and means restyling it so it fits regardless... or not ;)>

I don't care about the last poster so much either.

If you restyle everything to fit it becomes an unusable hot mess. It's basically a trade off between what's necessary to see and what can fit. I think Kier & Mike found the right balance.

Oh, I have no disagreement. See, I've had to wrangle with the whole responsive thing recently, and it's a more general rant about the way people perceive it.

There are people who seem to believe that 'responsive' means 'shoe-horn everything down into a mobile size without losing anything'... which of course it doesn't. When you're on a screen that small, you don't want 'all the information you'd normally have'. You want to focus on what's important and hide the rest, but too many people I know seem to believe that 'responsive' means you shouldn't have to compromise on that... which of course it doesn't.

Oh, I have no disagreement. See, I've had to wrangle with the whole responsive thing recently, and it's a more general rant about the way people perceive it.

There are people who seem to believe that 'responsive' means 'shoe-horn everything down into a mobile size without losing anything'... which of course it doesn't. When you're on a screen that small, you don't want 'all the information you'd normally have'. You want to focus on what's important and hide the rest, but too many people I know seem to believe that 'responsive' means you shouldn't have to compromise on that... which of course it doesn't.

:unsure: I missed the "... or not" in what I quoted. Mobile screen reading doesn't lend well right after waking up. lol. I work in mobile, I've made some pages with way too much information because clients feel its that important...

But wouldn't it make more sense to replace the username of the thread starter with the last commenter?
Especially in an active discussion it'd be a more useful information for me to see who replied last than who created the topic.

(It's also one of the first things people asked about after our move from vb to xf.)

Just to revisit this thread - I'm getting feedback from users that they would like to see who last replied to a thread in the mobile UI.

This was also brought up in the XF2 demo site - https://xf2demo.xenforo.com/threads/add-last-reply-username-to-mobile-view.1233/

Is this something that can be reconsidered for XF2.0? Looking at the XF2.0 thread list, I do see there is space for a username next to the last update time on higher resolution devices or tablets.

Top Bottom