Third party What's up with gravatar

It's not that simple. It only appears to work because that URL hasn't been used before, and thus isn't in their cache. The issue appears to be their cache expiry.

Try to change your Gravatar and then hit those URLs.

It's not that simple. It only appears to work because that URL hasn't been used before, and thus isn't in their cache. The issue appears to be their cache expiry.

Try to change your Gravatar and then hit those URLs.
Yea but the url will change on adding a new avatar no? so hitting them urls will still show my old avatar as its still in my gravatar profile to use at any time as you said.

as in this
http://gravatar.com/avatar/9b3573db657b48621bcfddfe4ec71809?s=192&d=

edit oh I see

http://gravatar.com/avatar/9b3573db657b48621bcfddfe4ec71809?s=192 this changes all the time but with the extra after it, it don't.

I don't know about you Vodkaholic, but the three two links you provided in your first post on this page show up as the same image for me, as does the links in the post above this one. Then again I'm using Chrome so it might be a cacheing issue...

I don't know about you Vodkaholic, but the three two links you provided in your first post on this page show up as the same image for me, as does the links in the post above this one. Then again I'm using Chrome so it might be a cacheing issue...
Yea I changed my avatar back to the same one (I use it on other sites so) kind of a fail test unless you saw if within a hour or two.

I'm hitting this also, just felt I should report in. :)

On one of my forums and this one (XF), it shows an avatar I haven't used in six weeks on Gravatar--I put this one in place at the beginning of college football season. On another forum, it shows the one I changed to later in December, but none of the other forums have seen it change yet (including here). I switched the Gravatar a few days ago yet again, and none of the XF forums' Gravatars have changed.

And hate to say it but with any other site or service I use that uses Gravatar, those are updating properly, some within a few minutes, but just about all within 24 hours.

This is also just a recent problem. Earlier in 2011, Gravatars would usually be changed in all the forums I've accessed, usually being updated all over within 24 hours, just like I've seen on other sites.

I have tried changing to a static avatar or deleting them entirely, and even have re-entered a different email address (different Gravatar account) and then changed it back...old Gravatars still load. My next step is to go in and start deleting avatars from my Gravatar account to see if I can force a change that way.

Something isn't updating. I wish they could be contacted to sort this out. They're run by Automattic Inc., aren't they? Maybe hunt down Matt Mullenweg and get him to point us to a fix? ;) It does seem like an erratic caching issue on their end, especially since this worked earlier in 2011.

It started as soon as 1.1 came out.
I installed 1.0 on my home sever and the avatar works spot on updates in seconds.

It worked longer than that for me. My last Gravatar change (which is reflected here) was in early September. In fact, I went through three versions of my "M Go Blue" avatar until I was happy with it, and it changed via Gravatar within hours on all sites each time I changed it.

It started as soon as 1.1 came out.
I installed 1.0 on my home sever and the avatar works spot on updates in seconds.
Weird. So that means it indeed does have something to do with XenForo... I hope a fix can be made soon as it's a little annoying when you want to change your avatar...

Weird. So that means it indeed does have something to do with XenForo... I hope a fix can be made soon as it's a little annoying when you want to change your avatar...
Well not really - the misleading thing is that if you install it to a different URL, the URL sent to Gravatar is different and thus has different caching values. If I change my Gravatar, I don't get the updates in 1.0 either.

Oh ok. It's just weird that it works on every other site using Gravatar but this one. Have you been able to get in contact with Matt or someone from the Automattic team yet Mike?

Well not really - the misleading thing is that if you install it to a different URL, the URL sent to Gravatar is different and thus has different caching values. If I change my Gravatar, I don't get the updates in 1.0 either.
Really? this is odd indeed. anyways I give up. I just find it odd it works on all the other sites I use but here on any xenforo sits above 1.0 it don't

Thanks for trying tho Mike

I would get updates in 1.0 not instantly, but after a day or so, it would settle in and it would update. With 1.1, it's a crap shoot.

Here's the latest: on one forum (not one of mine, but one I helped convert/install), my current Gravatar is showing in my avatar settings window, but my December avatar still shows in the forum. I even went so far as to delete my avatar entirely, start over, and it just reverts back to my old one.

It wouldn't be browser caching would it? That doesn't make sense though--you'd think Gravatars would have a unique identifier for each image just for the sake of circumventing browser caching.

OK, I just went to the avatar editor here, and I get the same thing: my Gravatar in the avatar editor window is now correct, but it is still stuck on my September Gravatar here in the forum (which was two Gravatars ago).

Funny that the one Gravatar in the avatar editor seems to be the same size used here in the forum proper...yet it displays there and not here. My current one should be:

03502e40a05254109202e6954e88bf33

Mike--if there's anything you want me to try/do/etc. to help with this, let me know as I have a few installations I've done that I can try things on.

It wouldn't be browser caching would it? That doesn't make sense though--you'd think Gravatars would have a unique identifier for each image just for the sake of circumventing browser caching.
It's not browser caching - it's caching at their end (probably in Varnish). I've contacted them, but haven't had a response.

If you want to test, setup a 1.0 test forum, and set your avatar to a Gravatar. It will probably show the correct one if this is at a new URL. Now, change your Gravatar and see if it changes on your test board over time. (It hasn't for me.)

It's not browser caching - it's caching at their end (probably in Varnish). I've contacted them, but haven't had a response.

The odd thing is that I can go to the avatar editor and get the URL for the Gravatar from the smaller of the two images (the one next to the email address) and it displays correctly. This is the URL of the image BTW: http://www.gravatar.com/avatar/03502e40a05254109202e6954e88bf33?s=96 Drop this into a browser window and it grabs the proper Gravatar.

But out here in the forum, it's still on my old one. I guess I'm trying to figure out how it is accessed here vs. in the avatar editor. Do you call it a different way? I'm not familiar with Varnish obviously, so that's why I'm asking.

Thanks for looking at this again! :)

I guess I'm trying to figure out how it is accessed here vs. in the avatar editor.

So I guess I'm asking, why is it working in the avatar editor, but not out here? Very odd, isn't it? I can go to the avatar editor at any time, and the correct Gravatar is showing up.

Top Bottom