What is Cloudflare ? How does it help webmasters ?

I didn't know XenForo provided a free "Service Status" thread to allow Cloudflare to promote their services absolutely free of charge.

How generous of them, and at a time when money is likely to be tight due to the lawsuit.
Why not? vBulletin once did the same thing (but stopped).

It is in the best interest of XenForo to allow this as it gives free insight on how Cloudflare works. Which is a service A LOT (thousands or millions) of people use. But more importantly, it gives Cloudflare a free insight on how XenForo works, so they can make it (Cloudflare) more compatible with XenForo (giving XenForo an edge)

Oh how magnanimous - Cloudfare, a commercial company, letting people have a FREE insight into their product that they make a profit from. How kind of them.

And why on Earth is it "in the best interests of XenForo" to allow a completely unrelated third party company to blatantly keep posting "status updates" every time their spammy thread drops down the threads list?
Read my post again... It works both ways and to XenForo's advantage

Oh how magnanimous - Cloudfare, a commercial company, letting people have a FREE insight into their product that they make a profit from. How kind of them.

And why on Earth is it "in the best interests of XenForo" to allow a completely unrelated third party company to blatantly keep posting "status updates" every time their spammy thread drops down the threads list?

I'll admit I'm not usually one to support your posts but this is honestly what I've thought every time I see this thread..

A lot of CloudFlare customers, including XenForo users, have asked about specific things in the past relative to features (including things like page customization of error pages and purging single files) or other. If we released something recently of interest, I'll update it to this thread where most of the questions have been asked. Most of the issues I'm engaged in here actually resolve around service issues or problems as well, so I'm also able to help people resolve their problems and answer their questions. If I really wanted to be promotional, I would be starting new threads and jumping in on things that have nothing to with CloudFlare at all (which I'm not doing).

I just wanted to try out cloudflare and i noticed a jump in load times. i mean I don't have a large site, but there was a noticeable difference. Enough that a few users PMed me and were pleased with the performance this morning.

Despite an increase in performance I'm a little bothered by the fact that I have to purge the cache each time I upload images to my directory via FTP.
I'm also a little aggravated with this issue-Sometimes the 'pop ups' and 'slide downs' don't work. For example the login you click a tab and a login menu slides down on the first page. I click the link and sometimes it'll take me to an actual login page. Sometimes My WYSIWYG editor (reply box) will not display. I click a members profile and it takes me directly there instead of utilizing the pop up feature.

This morning none of my navbar images would load!

These happen randomly and I'm not sure if it's my site or cloudflare but it all happens after I started using the service.

Pleased with performance and I love the idea of being up when there's downtime, but if I keep getting small kinks like this I will prob remove it.

I left CloudFlare because of how things actually slowed down for me, but also as you have said 0xym0r0n, things just wouldn't always work.

I have a different opinion to you. In what way is that "stirring"?

I am a long standing campaigner against forum spam, particularly forum spam disguised as "useful information", which is what this thread has become.

If you think it is spam then use the report post button rther than post inflamatory remarks to try and bait others into an arguement.

Sorry Damon, I simply don't buy that.

This thread gets no posts for weeks or months, and that's when you turn up and bump it with yet another "service update" to push it back to the top again. :rolleyes:

It's patently obvious what you're doing. I don't see hundreds of customers converging on XenForo all demanding status updates on what Cloudflare is doing.

If you're having a service issue that's affecting customers then I'd agree with you posting about that. But all you''re doing is posting routine service updates and improvements every time the thread looks like it's died. It's spam, pure and simple, because it's designed to raise awareness of your company on a totally unrelated company's site.

I've nothing against Cloudflare, indeed the service is very good and can be hugely useful. However that doesn't excuse the blatant spam.
I disagree. His posts have helped me and I receive my updates about CF in this thread than I do going to the CF website/blog. Just because it isn't useful to you doesn't constitute it as spam for everyone in the world. While I haven't received direct support from him, his posts towards others have helped me out in the past.

What's the meaning of this childish abuse? Grow up and learn how to disagree with someone's opinions without making abusive remarks.
Wouldn't it be childish to remove the content of your posts too? Just saying....

I don't know the history of your posting but if he is correct, then I'd say it is childish to remove such posts after trying to stir things up.

Cloudflare has been invaluable to us, those complaining about page load times ought look at their performance settings and page rules. Yes some functionality significantly decreases performance, but most enhance it.

Cloudflare literally either saved me thousands of dollars or hours / days of downtime. Used to attract ddos once or twice a week, was paying hundreds in mitigation service to no avail. After switching to cloudflare, which is not advertised as mitigation service resolved all those issues, downtime since has been minimal.

So thank you damon, matthew and everyone involved. I can't fathom the $40 a month going your way somehow recoups the costs you might incur for having us.
I owe you a cake.

Mark B, why are you such a negative person?

I have seen you be so judgemental of people and businesses on here (XenForo), vBulletin, and even on IPB. That is 3 company sites, with thousands of post in between them, and most of them being negatively judgemental.

You can set a specific domain to "development mode" when making changes to your website, although new images that have never been uploaded shouldn't be cached. :confused:

http://www.cloudflare.com/wiki/Development_Mode
Yeah I have an uncanny need to have a few images continually updated for my users. So I have to read the manual a bit more. I think I'm allowed an exempt folder or 3 rules... something like that, under the free edition.

I just wanted to try out cloudflare and i noticed a jump in load times. i mean I don't have a large site, but there was a noticeable difference. Enough that a few users PMed me and were pleased with the performance this morning.

Despite an increase in performance I'm a little bothered by the fact that I have to purge the cache each time I upload images to my directory via FTP.
I'm also a little aggravated with this issue-Sometimes the 'pop ups' and 'slide downs' don't work. For example the login you click a tab and a login menu slides down on the first page. I click the link and sometimes it'll take me to an actual login page. Sometimes My WYSIWYG editor (reply box) will not display. I click a members profile and it takes me directly there instead of utilizing the pop up feature.

This morning none of my navbar images would load!

These happen randomly and I'm not sure if it's my site or cloudflare but it all happens after I started using the service.

Pleased with performance and I love the idea of being up when there's downtime, but if I keep getting small kinks like this I will prob remove it.

"
Despite an increase in performance I'm a little bothered by the fact that I have to purge the cache each time I upload images to my directory via FTP"
You shouldn't have to for dynamic updates. Are you actually changing images?

The other issues entirely sound related to Rocket Loader. Have you tried turning this off?

I disagree. His posts have helped me and I receive my updates about CF in this thread than I do going to the CF website/blog. Just because it isn't useful to you doesn't constitute it as spam for everyone in the world. While I haven't received direct support from him, his posts towards others have helped me out in the past.

Thanks. I have actually had Skype chats and the like (or direct messages) from folks on here about troubleshooting issues. So it isn't really a matter of just trying to bump a post....

Top Bottom