Virtua Fighter Dot Com

Myke623

Virtua Fighter Dot Com (VFDC) is an unofficial site dedicated the SEGA 3D Fighting Game Series, Virtua Fighter. Our online community really began back in the Usenet days on in newsgroup rec.games.video.arcade (showing my age now!), and eventually moved to it's own website in 1998.

The video game has evolved a great deal since then, currently on it's fifth major version, and so too has it's online community. While there are a handful of regulars still around since the beginning, each new release sees an influx of a new fan base, and so the demands for online resources, features and functionality are ever increasing.

For it's forum, VFDC was originally running on wwwthreads forum software, which was later re-branded by UBB. It was a difficult decision for me to finally migrate to xenForo, but after having done so recently, I've not regretted it for a moment. In fact, I probably regret not having it done sooner, but I digress.

So the 'new look' VFDC went live a couple of weeks ago. Since then, I've been traversing the xF learning curve as I come to grips with all of it's new features. The attached screenshot is of the front portal (using XenPorta), but you're welcome to check the site out yourself:

120823-vfdc-index.webp

Finally, I just wanted to publicly thank Jake Bunce for his support in converting my UBB threads forums across to xenForo. He was always timely with his responses and extremely patient with my enquiries. I would not hesitate in recommending Jake to anyone considering a similar migration.

There's still a lot of work ahead (e.g. populating the Wiki), but I'm excited to be a part of the xenForo community and, hopefully, look forward to contributing something positive back.

I. Hate. You.

Not only do you have a very, very old domain name, you have a very powerful one, at that. I mean, virtua fighter DOT COM!?

To have a really busy fighting game site like that.... Impressive. Let alone for Virtua Fighter. You'd be hard pressed to create a virtua fighter forum.

Does SEGA even know this site exists? I'm surprised you didn't get a lawsuit from this, at all. o_O

Wow, thanks for the hate? ;)

And yes, (of course!) SEGA knows about the site. In fact, I and some community members have worked closely with SEGA in promoting and developing training resources for the latest version, Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown, which was released to consoles this year.

Wow, thanks for the hate? ;)
I don't really hate you, it's more like a jealous kind of reaction. It's like someone else has a collector's item that they want, they say "Agh! I hate you!"
And yes, (of course!) SEGA knows about the site. In fact, I and some community members have worked closely with SEGA in promoting and developing training resources for the latest version, Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown, which was released to consoles this year.
I wish my MVC3Forum attracted that much support from Capcom. We had Hori come over to the forum and promote their arcade sticks. :)

I like what you did with your forum. Looking good.

Finally, I just wanted to publicly thank Jake Bunce for his support in converting my UBB threads forums across to xenForo. He was always timely with his responses and extremely patient with my enquiries. I would not hesitate in recommending Jake to anyone considering a similar migration.

Aww thanks.

Our online community really began back in the Usenet days on in newsgroup rec.games.video.arcade (showing my age now!), and eventually moved to it's own website in 1998.

Nice. A fellow old skool gaming site. My game site started on Geocities in the 90's. :D

Looks nice. Only thing I'd change is remove the default navigation gradient and replace it with CSS3 and a custom gradient.

Looks nice. Only thing I'd change is remove the default navigation gradient and replace it with CSS3 and a custom gradient.
Thanks!

But can you be more specific with your suggestion? Replacing one gradient with another doesn't really give me much to go by :) Are you suggesting a gradient with more colour stops?

Thanks!

But can you be more specific with your suggestion? Replacing one gradient with another doesn't really give me much to go by :) Are you suggesting a gradient with more colour stops?
K, this may sound corny, but I'd say make your header navigation match the color, gradient in that ninja emblem. So solid dark subnavigation menu then the top menu is light with the gradient just like in the logo. That can be done with css3 and a gradient as a fall back just in case kinda like how it's done on my site. Difference is both my menu bars are the same color.

Top Bottom