XF 1.2 Upgrade stuck at 1.2 alpha step 10

Renegade

Does the upgrade take too long at this step? It has been stuck at this stage for last 10 minutes now.

Any suggestions?

If this is the first time you are upgrading from 1.1.5 it can take a while but not usually that long.

Are you on a particularly slow server?

There are a couple steps that have large alter table queries (that may take MySQL a while, depending on your server configuration and DB size). If you have a large forum, you may wish to use the CLI upgrade. Otherwise, simply refreshing should be fine.

:cry:

Damn I have no clue what to do now.. I did take a full cpanel backup but I wonder how to pull the DB out of it.

Uh oh, your upgrade to 1.2.0 has failed!

The following elements of the database are incorrect:

• Column xf_forum.allowed_watch_notifications missing.
  • Column xf_forum.default_sort_order missing.
  • Column xf_forum.default_sort_direction missing.
This is likely caused by an add-on conflict. You may need to restore a backup, remove the offending add-on data from the database, and retry the upgrade. Contact support if you are not sure how to proceed.

You will need to visit the relevant discussion threads for those add-ons and see what the resolutions are to upgrade to 1.2.

Disabling the add-on works in most cases, unless the database has been modified.

You will need to visit the relevant discussion threads for those add-ons and see what the resolutions are to upgrade to 1.2.

Disabling the add-on works in most cases, unless the database has been modified.
Can't do that unless I know which add-on it is. The only xfrocks add-ons I have installed are tag me and widget framework

My upgrade always falls over at step 10/11. As Mike says there are some intensive ALTER queries running on the posts table. Any sizeable board could easily time out on this step. I Defo recommend the CLI upgrade option..... Its painless.

@Renegade , do the CLI upgrade:
Code:
php library/XenForo/Install/run-upgrade.php

My (large) board was also stuck at step 10 but the CLI upgrade went fine.
My testforum with about 24mln posts took about 20-30 minutes to upgrade (on a not so fast virtual server).

Reactions: Rob
I have restored the earlier copy of the DB but now I cannot uninstall the add-ons as I can't reach the admincp. It shows, board is being upgraded please check back later.

Which other add-ons do you have installed @Renegade?

I have seen this error before but the other person I was assisting never responded.
I have 15 or so add-ons installed but now I cannot see that list.

The famous 5 minute upgrade has taken me 5 hours now and still counting.

If you want to restore your site to the pre-upgrade state then you will also need to restore the server files from the release you were using.

We need to determine which add-on is the cause of the problem and come up with a solution.

If the board upgrade message is showing, then the upgrade didn't finish. You need to go back to the upgrade system and pick it up again. (You may want to look at the MySQL process list / server load to determine if the alter is still running; if it is, there's not a lot that can be done until it's finished. You will want to check your MySQL config for the future though.)

I restored the DB and the files. I uninstalled most add-ons, upgraded those that were left and then disabled all of them before running an upgrade. The upgrade script is just stuck on the Upgrading... 1.2.0 Alpha, Step 10 for the last 5 or more hours.

This upgrade is the most frustrating ever in the last 8 years of running a forum.

Last edited:
Alright I checked the mysql processlist and there were no processes running except the one to check the processlist. So I ran the CLI upgrade and it is showing Upgrade completed successfully. I cannot believe my eyes so just want to ask, does that mean everything went fine or will I discover missing tables/columns later?

Top Bottom