Browser issue Unable to add a link to all text in the editor

Chris D

XenForo developer
Staff member
I can replicate this with any XenForo editor in 1.2.

Replication steps are simple and it has currently been tested on Google Chrome for Mac. @Rho Delta do you use Mac or Windows?
  1. Go to an editor that is currently blank
  2. Type any text
  3. Highlight all of the text (click and drag or Cmd + A or Ctrl + A seem to have the same effect)
  4. Click the Add Link button in the editor
  5. Type a link
  6. Click Insert
  7. The result is that no link is applied to the text.

As a work around if you end your text with a space and highlight everything except the space, then the link will add properly.

Oddly, if you're editing an existing post (for example) then it works absolutely fine.

I can replicate this with any XenForo editor in 1.2.

Replication steps are simple and it has currently been tested on Google Chrome for Mac. @Rho Delta do you use Mac or Windows?
  1. Go to an editor that is currently blank
  2. Type any text
  3. Highlight all of the text (click and drag or Cmd + A or Ctrl + A seem to have the same effect)
  4. Click the Add Link button in the editor
  5. Type a link
  6. Click Insert
  7. The result is that no link is applied to the text.

As a work around if you end your text with a space and highlight everything except the space, then the link will add properly.

Oddly, if you're editing an existing post (for example) then it works absolutely fine.
I use Windows 7. I can confirm it does the same thing to me.

Test Message

If you see the link above - then it works in FireFox on OS/X 10.8.4.
It did NOT work in Chrome or Safari.
This additional text was added after the original post was saved and confirmed working.

Last edited:
I've just tried it in Chrome for Android and can confirm the bug.

All sorts of problems in Firefox for Android which aren't quite the same so I'll post these separately.

It's generally a browser bug, though definitely weird - I'm not sure why it works on editing. The selection appears to be identical in both cases.

We pass off to the browser to apply the changes to the selection, as it may cross multiple tag boundaries and do all sorts of weird things. As such, it isn't really something we can fix.

Top Bottom