Suggestions For More Trophy Options/ Criteria

Paul B

XenForo moderator
Staff member
Contrary to my previous opinion, I have now decided that I will utilise the Trophy Points system once we migrate over to XenForo.

The reason for this is it's a great way to get your community up and running quickly, learn the new features and to get people more involved.

For starters I plan to delete all the old avatars (waits for expressions of outrage) and encourage everyone to upload a new one, taking advantage of the larger images which are possible in XF.
I will create a thread explaining how to add a new avatar and along with that I will create a new trophy for adding an avatar, assuming of course this is possible.

Once people realise they can gain points for simply adding an avatar then I anticipate many more members will do so, thereby encouraging active participation

So this thread is for discussion on how to engage people and what ideas you have for trophy points.

My initial trophies will be
  • Upload an avatar - 1 point
  • Post a message - 1 point
  • First like received - 5 points
  • First like given - 5 points
Anyone else got any good ideas?

Edit: Since posting this thread, it's now clear exactly what criteria trophies can be awarded for - currently days, messages, likes (received) or trophy points. This thread therefore is now for suggestions.

What about a trophy for giving your first 5 likes - say another 5 points in your schema. Many members won't be used to giving out likes and will be stingy with them. Getting them accustomed to giving props for good posts would go a long way towards making the Trophy Points valuable across the board so to speak.

Traveller award — after having made 10 posts in each of the forums they have access to
Popular writer's award — after having started 20 threads that have more than 50 replies and 10 likes to the first post
Nice guy award — after having given out 100 likes
Debater's award — after having replied 5 or more times each to at least 30 threads
Well-connected award — after having followed 30 people and have a minimum of 30 followers
Thought leader's award — minimum 1000 posts, minimum 1:1 likes to posts ratio, minimum of 50 followers
Good citizen's award — after having reported at least 15 posts that were later deleted
Quick answers award — having made the first reply to at least 50 threads, and those first replies have at least 1 like
Welcome committee award — after having made the first profile comment on at least 30 new users' profiles

Awards for having logged in 7, 14, and 21 days consecutively
Awards for having made at least one post per day for 7, 14, and 21 days consecutively
An award for having filled out all profile fields/avatar/signature

Just letting my imagination run wild. Most of these would probably require custom code.

I definitely will need a referral or invitation system if I open a new site. So if they guy don't code it in default in a future version, hopefully someone will code a mod for it pretty quick.

I think M&K should make it NOW and have us test it to see if we can get XF to 10,000 or even 100,000 members FASTER :D

The number 1 feature is what I call and what Facebook mastered ... its called virolocity.

Peggy ... How about we start a petition ? :)

A widget in the sidebar that contains the Achievements/Trophies earned by an user, like:
xuser has gained the trophie xxx

Trophies for writing articles in the article section is one of the possibilities. We already have a contest + prices there, but some seem to value online status more than a 'real' price.

The problem with all this is that you again turn it into a contest to have the most points... I think this can undermine the value of the whole system (like what happened with the reputation system, at least on our forum).

The problem with all this is that you again turn it into a contest to have the most points... I think this can undermine the value of the whole system (like what happened with the reputation system, at least on our forum).
Which was my initial concern with the system and why I was considering not implementing it.

For that reason I want to try and award trophies for reasons other than posting and likes, hence this thread to get some ideas.

Trophies for writing articles in the article section is one of the possibilities. We already have a contest + prices there, but some seem to value online status more than a 'real' price.

Could it be possible to limit the amount of "likes" a person can give out on a daily basis?
That way folks use them judiciously only on posts that they really like, that really deserve it.

And when he/she misbehaves it's a total reset. Worse than an infraction point or even week ban :D

Hmmm, maybe a a trophy for good behavior.
100 posts without an infraction
500 posts without an infraction
1000 posts without an infraction
5000 posts without an infraction
10000 posts without an infraction

Or maybe make it time based.
30 days without an infraction
90 days without an infraction
etc...

when you get an infraction... you go back to square one.

Top Bottom