Lack of interest [Suggestion] Thread Auto-Split / Recurring Threads

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

lazy llama

I've not thought this through too much but:
  • Option to have threads auto-split at a certain number of posts
  • Option to have threads auto-split at a certain period of time, usually monthly.
This could be set by admins as a thread option.
The type of threads I'm thinking of are "Photo Competition" where a new one is started each month, or for auto-splitting of huge ongoing "What's for lunch" threads.
The advantage is that it helps prevent huge threads, and removes the need for manual thread splitting/creation.

Upvote 0
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
The type of threads I'm thinking of are "Photo Competition" where a new one is started each month.
Why not have a Photo Competition forum with new threads in that forum each month ?

or for auto-splitting of huge ongoing "What's for lunch" threads.
I don't think these need to be split. Actually you probably want them in just one place, not junking things up.
The advantage is that it helps prevent huge threads
Someone (Jake?) said there is no performance hit for large threads.
I want to get rid of large threads because of the information loss.
ie. can't find stuff.
etc.

Why not have a Photo Competition forum with new threads in that forum each month ?
Could be done as a sub forum but it would still mean manual creation/close each month, and would also mean people going looking for it specifically rather than just finding in the Photo forum while they're browsing.
I don't think these need to be split. Actually you probably want them in just one place, not junking things up.
Someone (Jake?) said there is no performance hit for large threads.
I think I've seen people saying that certain thread actions take a long time on large threads.
I want to get rid of large threads because of the information loss.
ie. can't find stuff.
etc.
"Thread this search" would make a big impact on that.

..and would also mean people going looking for it specifically rather than just finding in the Photo forum while they're browsing.
Good point.
hmmm ... thanks for that.
So obvious but I didn't think of it.
getting rid of subforums is a good idea.

A version of getting rid of forums is having a forum display everything (including the subforums) but when you click on the subforum ... you are just accessing the posts in the subforum.
get it ? Not sure if a vB mod did this.

I think I've seen people saying that certain thread actions take a long time on large threads.
yea. getting rid of mega threads could help some performance things.
"Thread this search" would make a big impact on that.
forums.bukkit.org has thread searching in xenforo.

Top Bottom