Lack of interest [Suggestion] Quick message system

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

dutchbb

The fun thing about a reputation system is the ability to send quick messages to each other, the 'like' system is different since it's public and so doesn't need this. But the ability to send quick messages to another user is still a lot of fun for users, and actually one of the things that can stimulate activity on the forums.

So why not make a system that allows exactly this? After sending, the quick message would be visible as an alert. And all received quick messages can be viewed on a separate page.

Please give it a like if you do :)

Upvote 2
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Why not just reply to the thread instead?
It's still a personal message like the private conversations, but quicker and shorter. It's for these short 'yeah you're right' or 'See you this weekend' messages. When you feel like saying it, but a public reply is not personal enough and a private conversation is too extensive. I'm sure everyone has had that before. Our members do it all the time in the reputation system.

You mean like FB's chat system? I think there is a bar that runs at the bottom of some forums called meebo. Liz
I barely use FB so I wouldn't know. But this is not meant as a 'chat', it's a simple message system, not really for conversations.

I barely use FB so I wouldn't know. But this is not meant as a 'chat', it's a simple message system, not really for conversations.

The one on FB isn't really a good chat one, but it's more private than a shout box and faster than a PM system. It's really good for a few quick lines but not long conversations. 

Liz 

I only see a few people actually using this. Not really useful for a forum software when you can reply or just send a private conversation.

If something like this was incorporated it would have to correspond with conversations. For example, an overlay box with an input for quickly saying something.

Like I said before, something that I do not see useful in my opinion.

I only see a few people actually using this. Not really useful for a forum software when you can reply or just send a private conversation.

If something like this was incorporated it would have to correspond with conversations. For example, an overlay box with an input for quickly saying something.

Like I said before, something that I do not see useful in my opinion.
When it's coupled with the reputation system it's used a lot, on our forum anyway. But of course that could be just because of the combination reputation points + message.

Well, it's an idea for a mod if not a default feature, I'm sure there is some interest for it. Think about it: without the vB reputation system, some communities are going to miss giving these short messages to each other. I can already hear my members complaining about it, if I would switch to XF.

When it's coupled with the reputation system it's used a lot, on our forum anyway. But of course that could be just because of the combination reputation points + message.

Well, it's an idea for a mod if not a default feature, I'm sure there is some interest for it. Think about it: without the vB reputation system, some communities are going to miss giving these short messages to each other. I can already hear my members complaining about it, if I would switch to XF.
They would get used to it. Members are not as unflexible as their admins think they are. :)

They would get used to it. Members are not as unflexible as their admins think they are. :)
After almost 10 years I know them pretty well hehe. The reputation system is a big thing on our forums, the points, the messages... We once did a reset of the points, to start over because there was a lot of cheating and we wanted to change some options and start on a clean plate. After that, some of the members that were there for years left the forums because they hated losing the reputation points. I'm not sure what will happen if I take away the whole system and replace it with a system that has no messaging. Most of them would accept it but hate me for it. Some would possibly leave. I'm not keen on such a situation, it would be nice to have something that can replace it :)

Why not have the option to comment on the like like the suggestion shelly suggested.
If my suggestion is rejected, I'd be happy with that as admin option.

After almost 10 years I know them pretty well hehe. The reputation system is a big thing on our forums, the points, the messages... We once did a reset of the points, to start over because there was a lot of cheating and we wanted to change some options and start on a clean plate. After that, some of the members that were there for years left the forums because they hated losing the reputation points. I'm not sure what will happen if I take away the whole system and replace it with a system that has no messaging. Most of them would accept it but hate me for it. Some would possibly leave. I'm not keen on such a situation, it would be nice to have something that can replace it :)

And mine don't even know the system exists. I've never enabled the rep system on my forum. I never really liked it as you always seem to be competing against each other and who has the most points. And it can get out of hand. I've even seen forums where they rep each other just to raise their point count.  When I saw that, I just decided to not even enable mine. 

Liz 

How about a quick way to start a conversation?

Clicking an avatar opens an overlay, then clicking 'Start Conversation' loads the PM page. Could the overlay expand when you click 'start conversation' for you to send a quick PM without leaving the thread?

Top Bottom