Ignore / Filter System

Forsaken

This is from one of my older posts, but it was several different ideas, and I rather this one be added rather then any of the others.

Ignore/Filter System
One thing I've noticed that is currently lacking (In the form of user ignore) currently, and that most forums do not extend more then the basic concept, is the ignore function.

• Users: Rather then just ignore their posts, PM's and such, I'd like to see them completely ignored. More then once, I've been on a forum where there was a person that I could barely stand would aggravate me.
  • Forums/Categories: The ability to completely hide forums or categories, and filter out any threads or posts in them. I often don't read introduction forums, or site showcases, and I rather not have to sift through them when I use the "What's New?" link.
  • Threads/Posts: Ability to ignore certain threads and posts. This is more because I rarely participate in forum games where yous say something about the previous poster.

Upvote 237
It would be nice if even quotes from the ignored person could even be ignored, I always wanted to write some vB function that would regexp all quoted material against a thread viewers' ignore list, and remove that content if it belonged to an ignored user.

And nicer still if you still use the "goes to Coventry" nomenclature.

If this is going to be a social networking script this feature is the standard together with full control over who gets to see your info etc.

The second one is accomplished.

If this is going to be a social networking script this feature is the standard together with full control over who gets to see your info etc.

The second one is accomplished.

You are completely missing the point.

This is to block/filter everything about a user, thread, or forum/category.

In facebook parlance, I think they just call it "Hide", rather than the rude "Ignore". Only in your friend feed/list would you be able to unhide a member, forum, or whatever.

In a perfect world probably.

A forum opt-out would be much appreciated. Not so much to block the forum totally, but to block it from appearing in search results and "What's New". This is much needed for those that access the forums from work, but don't want the more "adult" type stuff from appearing in the search results.

In facebook parlance, I think they just call it "Hide", rather than the rude "Ignore". Only in your friend feed/list would you be able to unhide a member, forum, or whatever.

In a perfect world probably.
Thanks. If the devs ever decide to add this, call it Hide instead of ignore or block etc :) More nice.

I'm finding it harder to keep active here do to the # of threads/posts, many of which I won't ever read.

Some type of filtering really needs to be added.

I'm finding it harder to keep active here do to the # of threads/posts, many of which I won't ever read.

Some type of filtering really needs to be added.
Maybe integrated with the mentioned-before gmail style labeling system? Tag/label offensive users, and fence off to a 'read later' section in the UCP..

I agree with this thread!

Although, I disagree with "make it sound nice" idea. If you want to ignore somebody they most likely have it coming; therefore you should name the feature something like "Push into a Fire and Forget About".

The confirmation would be: "Do you really want to Push into a Fire and Forget About Chousho?"

I agree with this thread!

Although, I disagree with "make it sound nice" idea. If you want to ignore somebody they most likely have it coming; therefore you should name the feature something like "Push into a Fire and Forget About".

The confirmation would be: "Do you really want to Push into a Fire and Forget About Chousho?"
I totally want to push into a fire and forget about Chousho.

Like the first post if you want this implemented. 

many users at the XF-german-language-Thread are asking for a feature in order for users to be able to ignore other users.
They have expressed their feelings that some people here are annoying to them and they would like to see some kind of "Ignore-User Feature" build into XF.

many users at the XF-german-language-Thread are asking for a feature in order for users to be able to ignore other users.
They have expressed their feelings that some people here are annoying to them and they would like to see some kind of "Ignore-User Feature" build into XF.
The system would also be useful for ignoring language specific-threads; I don't have much interest in the Chinese, Turkish, French, German threads, and having to ignore them in results gets redundant.

Other users probably feel the same about other posts (Page navigation especially). 

Howdy,

A very useful feature in other forum software is the ignore/hide user feature where a users posts are hidden from view.

Can this please be implemented so the annoying kids can be hidden and avoid frustrating the more mature forum users?

Thanks

Top Bottom