Lack of interest [Suggestion] Custom link structure

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

Mircea

Hi,
I am new to xenForo. Love the features but I have few questions and suggestions. Would this link structure be possible (even with a plug-in).

domain.com/forum-name/topic-name

In my case this page would be:
xenforo.com/suggestions-tweaks-small-features/custom-link-structure

I know that everyone will jump and say "what if there is a similar topic or forum with this name". Well then a simple if will add an ID to that link:
xenforo.com/suggestions-twea...ink-structure-postID

if (topicTitle exists){
use ID link structure
}// code written in gibberish

As for pagination something like this:
xenforo.com/suggestions-twea...link-structure/page2
xenforo.com/suggestions-twea...link-structure/page3

I do believe that this is a logical linking structure for both search engine bots as for humans. There was an article about Matt Cutts on this some ware.

Looking forward to see this project online.
Great job!

Upvote 1
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
This would be possible, however what if you change the title of the category or of the thread?
That's the main problem. Except that, it's possible to do it - the only problem is performance once that you have 1M topics.

If you change the title that the URL could also be changed. I do hope that a custom URL structure will be possible. I like the way WordPress is doing it.
Thanx

I'm also new. I can't seem to find why /community is in all url. Is the forum here in a subfolder named community?

How would we change /threads to /forum so that the URL reads xenforo.com/forum/threadtitle.id#? This puts the keyword "forum" in the URL and the word forum is shorter than /community/threads. Would this be an option or done through .htaccess?

If you change the title that the URL could also be changed. I do hope that a custom URL structure will be possible. I like the way WordPress is doing it.
Thanx

wordpress is actually pretty rad when it comes to permalink. you can have a long-ass title for a blog post but it can still have one word in the entire link.

and if you change the title of a blog post, the link need not be changed.

i realized on my vb+vbseo forum... having title content in the link has its own issues. if you change the title of a thread, you change the link of the thread and each post. but since they are properly redirected anyways... it does not harm anyone eventually.

I'm also new. I can't seem to find why /community is in all url. Is the forum here in a subfolder named community?

How would we change /threads to /forum so that the URL reads xenforo.com/forum/threadtitle.id#? This puts the keyword "forum" in the URL and the word forum is shorter than /community/threads. Would this be an option or done through .htaccess?
The community link is the current directory of the forum. You can just put XenForo in a forum directory if that's what you wish :)

The community link is the current directory of the forum. You can just put XenForo in a forum directory if that's what you wish :)
Thanks, just wanted to make sure.

Is it possible to rename /threads to /forum ? I'm OK with leaving /members but /threads is leaving out the essential keyword forum.

Thanks, just wanted to make sure.

Is it possible to rename /threads to /forum ? I'm OK with leaving /members but /threads is leaving out the essential keyword forum.
wtgw, I think /threads/ is a more essential keyword when used where it is; they already use /forums/ for forum links (See here: http://xenforo.com/community/forums/suggestions-tweaks-small-features.18/), and the usage of /thread/ seems much more logical and semantic for the URL structure.

But you can do whatever you wish, I was just explaining from my perspective. 

Top Bottom