XML Sitemap for XenForo 1.3 [Not needed, included in 1.4]

Are there any advantages to using this over the Google Sitemap Generator, which is what we have on our server?

I would wonder if Sitemap generator is really working for you.

Since Sitemap generator monitors logs and web server traffic, it will not exclude private forums from the sitemap, and it can potentially include pages that are not really relevant for the sitemap (like the alert page, or the usercp). It might even include links to conversations that would not be valid.

Plus, that tool strips the query parameters, unless configured correctly the URLs will be less than ideal :) That does not matter if you have mod_rewrite, but without, the url parameters are used

This addon would create a Sitemap that is better organized, as it knows the internal structure for threads, forums, and members.

This addon would create a Sitemap that is better organized, as it knows the internal structure for threads, forums, and members.

My concern with add-ons is that they add levels of complexity that become problematic when upgrading newish software, which is what xenforo is. Will upgrading xenforo mess with the sitemap thing? And also, is this sitemap add-on you recommend definitely better than the google server-side product?

My concern with add-ons is that they add levels of complexity that become problematic when upgrading newish software, which is what xenforo is. Will upgrading xenforo mess with the sitemap thing? And also, is this sitemap add-on you recommend definitely better than the google server-side product?

Well, it's different. The addon will get you better urls, the sitemap generator will decouple it from the XenForo installation, that is certainly desirable.

While it is true that things break, I wrote this for early XF beta, and I haven't needed to update it, it is now running on XenForo 1.1 RC1 without any updates to the original code.

Use whatever you feel comfortable with, really :) If you have time ...
Try one, login to Google Webmaster Tools, see if you got any warnings, see the # of URLs submitted and accepted
Try the other one, do the same

Use the one that gets you better results

In this plugin,when enabled in:*Ping Google and Bing after the sitemap is generated
---If you select this option, after the sitemap is generated Google and Bing will be informed of the new sitemap. This is done by pinging a special service with the sitemap URL.---

I get the following error:

Info del error
ErrorException: curl_setopt() [<a href='function.curl-setopt'>function.curl-setopt</a>]: CURLOPT_FOLLOWLOCATION cannot be activated when safe_mode is enabled or an open_basedir is set - library/CemZoo/Sitemap/Ping.php:29
Generado por: Cuenta desconocida, hace 39 minutos
Seguimiento
#0 [internal function]: XenForo_Application::handlePhpError(Resource id #67, 52, 1)
#1 /home/sectorga/public_html/comunidad/library/CemZoo/Sitemap/Ping.php(29): curl_setopt('http://www.goog...')
#2 /home/sectorga/public_html/comunidad/library/CemZoo/Sitemap/Ping.php(47): CemZoo_Sitemap_Ping::pingUrl('http://www.sect...')
#3 /home/sectorga/public_html/comunidad/library/CemZoo/Sitemap/Index.php(113): CemZoo_Sitemap_Ping::pingGoogle()
#4 /home/sectorga/public_html/comunidad/library/CemZoo/Sitemap/Index.php(78): CemZoo_Sitemap_Index->pingServices()
#5 /home/sectorga/public_html/comunidad/library/CemZoo/Sitemap/CronEntry/RebuildSitemap.php(26): CemZoo_Sitemap_Index->generate(Array)
#6 [internal function]: CemZoo_Sitemap_CronEntry_RebuildSitemap::run(Array, Array)
#7 /home/sectorga/public_html/comunidad/library/XenForo/Model/Cron.php(356): call_user_func(Array)
#8 /home/sectorga/public_html/comunidad/library/XenForo/Cron.php(29): XenForo_Model_Cron->runEntry()
#9 /home/sectorga/public_html/comunidad/library/XenForo/Cron.php(64): XenForo_Cron->run()
#10 /home/sectorga/public_html/comunidad/cron.php(12): XenForo_Cron::runAndOutput()
#11 {main}
Estado de la solicitud
array(3) {
["url"] => string(56) "http://www.mysite.com/comunidad/cron.php?1322064625"
["_GET"] => array(1) {
[1322064625] => string(0) ""
}
["_POST"] => array(0) {
}
}

My version is 1.1.0

Info del error
ErrorException: curl_setopt() [<a href='function.curl-setopt'>function.curl-setopt</a>]: CURLOPT_FOLLOWLOCATION cannot be activated when safe_mode is enabled or an open_basedir is set - library/CemZoo/Sitemap/Ping.php:29

My version is 1.1.0
CURLOPT_FOLLOWLOCATION cannot be activated when safe_mode is enabled or an open_basedir is set

Change configuration or disable safe_mode.

Salud2

In this plugin,when enabled in:*Ping Google and Bing after the sitemap is generated
---If you select this option, after the sitemap is generated Google and Bing will be informed of the new sitemap. This is done by pinging a special service with the sitemap URL.---

I get the following error:

Info del error
Generado por: Cuenta desconocida, hace 39 minutos
Seguimiento
#0 [internal function]: XenForo_Application::handlePhpError(Resource id #67, 52, 1)
#1 /home/sectorga/public_html/comunidad/library/CemZoo/Sitemap/Ping.php(29): curl_setopt('http://www.goog...')
#2 /home/sectorga/public_html/comunidad/library/CemZoo/Sitemap/Ping.php(47): CemZoo_Sitemap_Ping::pingUrl('http://www.sect...')
#3 /home/sectorga/public_html/comunidad/library/CemZoo/Sitemap/Index.php(113): CemZoo_Sitemap_Ping::pingGoogle()
#4 /home/sectorga/public_html/comunidad/library/CemZoo/Sitemap/Index.php(78): CemZoo_Sitemap_Index->pingServices()
#5 /home/sectorga/public_html/comunidad/library/CemZoo/Sitemap/CronEntry/RebuildSitemap.php(26): CemZoo_Sitemap_Index->generate(Array)
#6 [internal function]: CemZoo_Sitemap_CronEntry_RebuildSitemap::run(Array, Array)
#7 /home/sectorga/public_html/comunidad/library/XenForo/Model/Cron.php(356): call_user_func(Array)
#8 /home/sectorga/public_html/comunidad/library/XenForo/Cron.php(29): XenForo_Model_Cron->runEntry()
#9 /home/sectorga/public_html/comunidad/library/XenForo/Cron.php(64): XenForo_Cron->run()
#10 /home/sectorga/public_html/comunidad/cron.php(12): XenForo_Cron::runAndOutput()
#11 {main}
Estado de la solicitud
array(3) {
["url"] => string(56) "http://www.mysite.com/comunidad/cron.php?1322064625"
["_GET"] => array(1) {
[1322064625] => string(0) ""
}
["_POST"] => array(0) {
}
}

My version is 1.1.0
Not too much I can do for you, it's php setup :) If you feel adventurous change CURL for something else, like an fopen with a URL resource.

I do not plan to make this robust as to work for everybody, I made it for my site, it works for me, and I am distributing it so other people can benefit. I will fix bugs, of course. I left the code open so anybody could potentially make it better :)

How do we prevent this sitemap from indexing the following (which shows up in Google):

User profile pages
Search page
Registered members page
Trophies page
Lost password page
Help page
BB codes page

I found a small bug in the Sitemap, the thread redirections were being included in the sitemap. Although it is not big (google would just follow the redirection to the real thread), it is two URLs pointing to the same content.

As of the latest update, the thread redirects are not being included. I also pumped up the version number to 1.1 to be clear that it is compatible.

I also removed the output from the cron job, as the error from the content sent before the headers, though harmless, was annoying some people.

Top Bottom