Site Timing out when posting

faeronsayn

When posting threads or just a quick reply, my site seems to time out.

it does not seem to be a server fault since my server load is very minimal at around 0.60 ave. So I am not sure what is actually causing this, some times I go into a couple of threads and post, and it posts fine, but other times and most of the time its timing out, and I'd need to refresh to see my post.

If anyone has a solution please let me know!

Okay so when I am posting a quick reply, usually what happens is that it loads for a long time and then it comes up with the error I posted above.

Then I refresh and my message is there, it does not show that animation / updates the post right infront of you, but instead just endlessly loads until it comes up with that error. This is happening while I post quick replies, post threads, post replies to Private messages and so on.

Any addons or file customizations? Is there anything in the log?

Admin CP -> Tools -> Server Error Log

The server did not respond in time. Please try again.

That's a javascript timeout (30 seconds). See this post to the end:

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/one-styles-code-is-merging-with-another.19468/#post-250365

As you can see in that thread, you can edit the js files to increase the timeout. But submitting a post shouldn't take longer than 30 seconds to begin with. Maybe your server is just slow.

Any addons or file customizations? Is there anything in the log?

That's a javascript timeout (30 seconds). See this post to the end:

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/one-styles-code-is-merging-with-another.19468/#post-250365

As you can see in that thread, you can edit the js files to increase the timeout. But submitting a post shouldn't take longer than 30 seconds to begin with. Maybe your server is just slow.

Well sometimes it takes less than 5 - 10 seconds, and then sometimes it just does not do it, server average load is quite low hovering around 0.3 - 0.6 so not sure what it really is.

I do get some stuff in the server error log.

Its this

Zend_Mail_Protocol_Exception: Connection timed out - library/Zend/Mail/Protocol/Abstract.php:277

Code:
[COLOR=#141414][SIZE=13px]array(3) {
  ["url"] => string(80) "http://www.shadygamer.com/threads/testing-the-post-thread-stuffs.11947/add-reply"
  ["_GET"] => array(0) {
  }
  ["_POST"] => array(8) {
    ["message_html"] => string(11) "<p>test</p>"
    ["_xfRelativeResolver"] => string(71) "http://www.shadygamer.com/threads/testing-the-post-thread-stuffs.11947/"
    ["attachment_hash"] => string(32) "fe201b61b7d72fabc71dd119578c9b4b"
    ["last_date"] => string(10) "1323496672"
    ["_xfToken"] => string(53) "2,1323497459,11db597360bc217a1eb134860ac8bca78734b84f"
    ["_xfRequestUri"] => string(46) "/threads/testing-the-post-thread-stuffs.11947/"
    ["_xfNoRedirect"] => string(1) "1"
    ["_xfResponseType"] => string(4) "json"
  }
}[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Ah ha. Notification emails are failing. That explains why the problem doesn't happen for every reply, because some threads might not have anyone "watching" and hence no emails are sent.

Check your mail configuration:

Admin CP -> Home -> Options -> Email Options

Ah ha. Notification emails are failing. That explains why the problem doesn't happen for every reply, because some threads might not have anyone "watching" and hence no emails are sent.

Check your mail configuration:

Damn I knew it was the notification emails x.x, my google apps is not currently working for me properly, so I've switched it back to normal, and lets see how it goes.

I'm getting a similar problem (The Server Did Not Respond In Time) from one user using the same Chrome version I am. I haven't seen the error, and there aren't any messages in the error log. Would there be PHP errors logged somewhere else? I have seen server log errors appear before, but for minor things I was able to mitigate.

They aren't logged in through Facebook, and they say that it happened when they tried to click the xF "like" button on a post.

The Server Did Not Respond In Time ... when they tried to click the xF "like" button on a post.

That means the server didn't respond within 30 seconds. It's a timeout in the javascript. I don't see how liking a post could cause such a delay. There is no notification email involved there.

Are you able to reproduce the error yourself? Check the log in the control panel:

Try disabling your addons if you have any installed.

i dont have a mail server installed because i use google app mail. is there a better solution for this?

Are you experiencing the same timeout when posting? Chances are good it's a failed connection to the mail server. It should show up in the logs:

If it's a problem with the mail connection then you need to confirm your mail settings:

Are you experiencing the same timeout when posting? Chances are good it's a failed connection to the mail server. It should show up in the logs:

If it's a problem with the mail connection then you need to confirm your mail settings:

Yes, Jake. It's the former that sometimes connection to google mail server timed out.
I'm trying to find a better solution to offload the email task to another server.

I'm reading about the new Amazon email services which hopefully is more reliable. Not sure how to get it to work with Xenforo yet.
http://aws.amazon.com/ses/

That means the server didn't respond within 30 seconds. It's a timeout in the javascript. I don't see how liking a post could cause such a delay. There is no notification email involved there.

Are you able to reproduce the error yourself? Check the log in the control panel:

Try disabling your addons if you have any installed.

I realize its a javascript time out, but according to the source, the error didn't happen after 30 seconds, but maybe they didn't realize how long they were waiting.

There are no addons other than the Tapatalk add-on, and there's nothing reported in the server logs, which would be nice as to pinpointing the problem.

Try disabling that addon to see if that is the cause. And I still want to confirm that you are able to reproduce this problem yourself. It's hard to troubleshoot something that you can't reproduce.

Top Bottom