• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

Signatures Control Plugin: Max Chars, Max Links, Max Lines

What type of message
Do you mean a pop up, or an email/PM, or fade in an error message after pressing save?

You probably could do most of these things, but it would take a bit of work and I dont have much need for it (or time, since I'm working on something more useful).

Basically, stripping out the part that "breaks" the rules and adding a message to the end of the signature was far easier, and is the simplest solution that works for me, it is also what I've seen Mods often do. But Mods often completely delete the signature and replace is with text pointing the users to the rules. This Plug-in just strips the offending part, and adds this message after their signature

If there are too many links, then it removes excess links, keeping the anchor text in place
If there are too many images, then is removes the excess images, keeping the url to the image in place
If there are too many chars, then it chops off excesses chars.
If there are too many lines, then it chops off excesses lines.

For me, I'm not sure if a warning message on saving/PM is worth adding, it would take quite a bit of effort without a huge benefit.

If there is something I can do that will only take 10 mins, I dont mind updating this plugin further. But it works well for me , if you want to update the plug-in (add extra functionality) take a look at the file:
library\LimitSig\ControllerPublic\LimitSig.php
and the tutorial mentioned in the first post.

Not pm or email but just a system error message. Like default xenforo error messages, or popups saying "you can't use more than 3 links in a signature" or "you can't use more than 500 chars in signature" would be better I guess. But it is no big deal. It works for me as it is. Thanks for sharing. Using it on my forum now

Your installation instructions are wrong...

"Upload the entire contents of the attached zip to the library folder of your XenForo root"
You have to make a LimitSign folder in library, then upload the content inside

Your installation instructions are wrong...

"Upload the entire contents of the attached zip to the library folder of your XenForo root"
You have to make a LimitSign folder in library, then upload the content inside

I see your point, its not obvious.... I'll update the instructions - Done

I installed this mod today after the positive comments here. I went and added an image to my own signature to see if this was working. After I saved my sig, everything appeared fine. Then when I went to the forum, I saw the text of my signature listed twice with "Your signature has been modified, please read the rules" following.

Any idea what is going on and how to fix the "double signature" issue?

I couldnt reproduce the double post scenario

However, I did notice a mistake with the count for images (if you set limit to 2 images, it limits to 1 image), I've not had a need to limit images yet.

I've updated the plugin to fix that issue,
but to be honest this is only a mod that I need myself to limit the number of rows in a signature (until xenForo provide more options for this).

I've added the plugin so others could use it, but I wasn't planing to update it / take if further
(the 1st page links to a good tutorial), if you know more / have more information about the issue let me know and I'll see what I can do

I couldnt reproduce the double post scenario

I uninstalled the product and reinstalled. The double signature issue went away. So far so good I think.

By the way, it appears that smilies do not count as images in signatures which may be good or bad depending on your forum. It would be nice to be able to limit the number of smilies in messages as well. Will the number of smilies currently allowed in signatures be the same number as what is allowed in posts?

You must also add the ability to adjust limits for different groups, but not for all registered users!

wonder if there could be a option (yes/no) to disable all bbcode in signatures?

Would it be something easy to add?

I'm not sure if this is a major want/need, but I'd love it if you were able to limit signatures but height/width, we're starting to have some major problems with the size of the images because used in signatures, even though they managed to keep the number of characters used fairly low.

Anyway, this is a great add on, just installed it and should start to work wonders.

How would one determine "lines"?
Styles with fixed-widths would have less lines to play with.
Just something I'd like to understand is all :)

I'm not sure if this is a major want/need, but I'd love it if you were able to limit signatures but height/width, we're starting to have some major problems with the size of the images because used in signatures, even though they managed to keep the number of characters used fairly low.

Anyway, this is a great add on, just installed it and should start to work wonders.

totally agree with that, its so needed!

Hi - I've just downloaded and installed this add-on - but please also give the option to disallow youtube and other video links to be inserted/embedded.

I've also set the Allowed Images to 0 - but the images still display in signatures ?? :confused:

Can this add-on affect overall image size (i.e., whether one or more images, cannot exceed ___x___ dimensions)? If not, is that even feasible and practical?

I saw this in another thread - adding this css to extra.css

I do not know if this really solves the height/width requirements with this plugin though?

altering the # of pixels to what you want

Code:
.message .signature .bbCodeImage {
max-height: 100px;
max-width: 200px;
overflow-x: auto !important;
overflow-y: auto !important;
}

if anyone adds this to the plugin and it works, would you please report back

I've Set Allow images to 0 - So why are new and existing members still able to add images in their Signatures, please explain??

Top Bottom