Fixed Sidebar sign up/log in button fails to work intermittently and randomly

Paul B

XenForo moderator
Staff member
Not sure how best to explain this but the sign up button in the sidebar fails to work randomly and intermittently.

Clicking on it and cancelling the log in dropdown seems to trigger the problem - it may take several attempts to trigger it.

Once it fails to work, clicking on it repeatedly in the same place does nothing.
However, moving the mouse fractionally results in a working button, until the next time it fails.

Chrome 32/Win 7

Edit: Video demonstrating the problem: http://screencast-o-matic.com/watch/c2nbnbnIun

Last edited:
I'm not sure I'm understanding.

If you click on Log in or Sign up, the login overlay comes up, and if you click somewhere outside it to exit out of it and click on Log in or Sign up again, the login overlay won't come up? If that's it, then I'm not having any issues; if not, then I'm misunderstanding you.

Thanks, Brogan.

I was able to confirm it myself, and it appears to be a global bug, as I tested it on Mozilla Firefox 27.0.1 and was able to get it to happen there as well.

It's not really connected (or it is?), but it happens to me occasionally in the Resource Manager (with the "Download" button). I couldn't find steps to reproduce it, so I haven't opened a bug report about it...

It's not really connected (or it is?), but it happens to me occasionally in the Resource Manager (with the "Download" button). I couldn't find steps to reproduce it, so I haven't opened a bug report about it...
Yep. I was typing out a similar post last night. It's very similar in behaviour.

While I can confirm it, I think I can identify the FF behavior. I've only managed to trigger it on the edge of the button there, so it is probably related to the movement (to appear depressed).

Chrome seems to trigger it in the middle of the button (or at least not close to the edge). I'm not sure why. I suspect it is related to the movement but I haven't found the underlying reason.

The only likely workaround is to remove the relative movement adjustment on this button (it applies to the "top control" button as well).

Yes, as Mike has posted above, it seems to be linked to the movement when the button is active.

Editing the Style Property to remove that resolves it.

I've worked around this by removing the CSS position shift in the :active state for the button as suggested here. It's not the nicest of fixes, but the only other idea I have involves lots of template edits and would certainly break some custom styles, so I'm going to leave that for a major release rather than doing something fundamental at this late stage in the 1.3.x beta process.

I have seen this issue as well previously, but did not bother to report it..... as I thought it is related to the "line-height".

I have discovered, that when clicking with my mouse exactly onto the "line-height", then the button does not work.
Clicking one pixel below or atop the "line-height", then the button works fine.

Meaning: when clicking exactly at the point of the "line height" (line-height of the button-text), then the button does not work.

At my own website, I have changed the text "(You must log in or sign up to post here.)" into a "button", same as described here:
http://xenforo.com/community/thread...ou-must-log-in-or-sign-up-to-post-here.50217/

this is my custom code:
Code:
#LoginCustom {
    background: url("styles/customxxx/xenforo/new_topic.png") no-repeat scroll center bottom rgba(0, 0, 0, 0);
    border: medium none;
    cursor: pointer;
    display: block;
    height: 63px;
    line-height: 55px;
    margin: 0 auto;
    text-align: center;
    width: 205px;
}

I just want to let you know that this issue also happens at this "green-colored"-button.
I know it is a customization I have made, but maybe this information helps ?

:)

Last edited:
Top Bottom