Server HDD Corrupted Please Help

tafreehm

Okay.. So today I put my forum offline just before scheduled Cpanel backup. After an hour later when I checked it says DATABASE error occured(or wahtever the database error was) I logged into SSH and perform reboot. After that server never successfully rebooted.
I contacted my host and now they are saying: "
Looks like the drive is corrupt, it is failing to boot and BIOS hangs when detecting the drive. We will have to replace the drive and install the OS again. "

That literally freaked me out. I do have Secondary HDD where I used to save all the backups.

now can someone please guide me what should I do now ? I have bunch of other websites and a lot of data on that server... If I loose everything that means all attachments and everything is gone.

They have OnePortal thing where HOST is suggesting me to check what do I have on my secondaryHDD...

Can someone please quickly guide what should I do ?

Thanks

Just tell them to boot your server in rescue or KVM and get your files for you or at the very least, install the OS on a new drive and make your current drive mountable to rsync your files. If they can't do any of this, it's time for a better host ;)

Just tell them to boot your server in rescue or KVM and get your files for you or at the very least, install the OS on a new drive and make your current drive mountable to rsync your files. If they can't do any of this, it's time for a better host ;)
I am currently booting to rescue mode. It current status is "booting" now what happens after it booted. do I get SSH access or it has to be done through KVM ?

Yes you will have SSH access, your basically booting off a CD now. First thing you want to do is run sudo fdisk -l and see if your drive is still mounted

Yes you will have SSH access, your basically booting off a CD now. First thing you want to do is run sudo fdisk -l and see if your drive is still mounted
SSH is still unreachable and now KVM as well. Host is suggesting to power off server for 5 minutes and try again.

Turning it off for 5 minutes makes no sense. If the server cooling is shot, an over heated cpu isn't going to cool in 5 minutes.

Turning it off for 5 minutes makes no sense. If the server cooling is shot, an over heated cpu isn't going to cool in 5 minutes.
that what he said:
"
If you are unable to access your server's IPMI KVM, you will need to power this server off for a minimum of 5 minutes. This is per Supermicro's required IPMI troubleshooting steps.
To access your server's files, you will need to mount the hard drives in this server. Tutorials on how to do this can easily be found online."

Top Bottom