Separate Import Of Tags And Thread Prefixes

ibnesayeed

Currently we are using VB4 and we have spent several man-hours to add tags and thread prefixes. We don't want to lose that data. But we are eager to migrate our forum to XF.

Will it be possible to import tags and thread prefixes (hopefully, when added in XF, in [near] future) from the back up of the current state of VB4 instance?

We also need RTL support badly but data is more important than views. We can always tweak views manually.

+all arabic webmaster
smile.png

This is a very important question. The primary reason for not making a move from vb4 to xenforo is that we do not want to lose thread prefixes and tags. Our forum users have done quite a lot of work in compiling this information. If any member of the xenForo development team can at least assure us that it would be possible to separately import thread prefixes and tags, we may migrate our Urdu forum to xenForo.

That would fall under the "incremental import" type of concept, and it's not something that we support.

Thanks Mike for your quick response. It means we have yet an Octagon Red Sign ahead of our migration path.

Can anyone from XenForo team assure if [either of] these features will be available in any near-post gold release? The answer might help us decide better, if we will hold the migration up or not. Thanks. :-)

That would fall under the "incremental import" type of concept, and it's not something that we support.

Mike,

I guess the question could be this:

Can the importer import everything at the beginning? You already keep a type of data imported and an import id against the data. Then when Tag Prefixes (as an example) are implemented you have all the information in the import log to put the right tag against the new XF thread.

Can anyone from XenForo team assure if [either of] these features will be available in any near-post gold release? The answer might help us decide better, if we will hold the migration up or not. Thanks. :)
If it doesn't work for you now, don't migrate. We can't make any promises about future features.

Can the importer import everything at the beginning? You already keep a type of data imported and an import id against the data. Then when Tag Prefixes (as an example) are implemented you have all the information in the import log to put the right tag against the new XF thread.
With some changes to underlying systems, it would be possible, but it's still not trivial.

I've been very satisfied with my first XF board (XF from the beginning, not converted). I have two more that I would love to convert from vB but I cannot allow the tag data to be lost.

Thread prefixes are not an issue in my case.

Top Bottom