XF 1.1 SEO: Handling external links

zeropaid

I've noticed that in my posts when a user posts a link to an external link, rel='external nofollow' is not attached to links. Since my domain is high ranking, spammers see this as a dangling carrot.

What is the best way to handle external links in xenForo?

I've noticed that in my posts when a user posts a link to an external link, rel='external nofollow' is not attached to links. Since my domain is high ranking, spammers see this as a dangling carrot.

That would deter spammers, not attract them. Their spam links will carry no weight with search engines. You want to change this?

@brogan, is there a way to turn this on for all external links?

You want to make staff links nofollow as well? Edit this file:

library/XenForo/Model/User.php

Add the red code:

Rich (BB code):
	/**
	 * Prepares a user record for display. Note that this may be called on incomplete guest records.
	 * @param array $user User info
	 * @return array Prepared user info
	 */
	public function prepareUser(array $user)
	{
		if (empty($user['user_group_id']))
		{
			$user['display_style_group_id'] = self::$defaultGuestGroupId;
		}

$user['customFields'] = (!empty($user['custom_fields']) ? @unserialize($user['custom_fields']) : array());

// "trusted" user check - used to determine if no follow is enabled
		$user['isTrusted'] = (false && !empty($user['user_id']) && (!empty($user['is_admin']) || !empty($user['is_moderator'])));

if (XenForo_Visitor::hasInstance())
		{
			$user['isIgnored'] = XenForo_Visitor::getInstance()->isIgnoring($user['user_id']);
		}

return $user;
	}

That will remove the exception for admins and mods which will cause all hyperlinks in user content to be "nofollow".

edit - this can be made into an addon by extending XenForo_Model_User.

Top Bottom