RM 1.1 Resource Manager Custom Fields

Today, we're ready to start talking about some of the features that will be coming in version 1.1 of the XenForo Resource Manager add-on. This version will be more evolutionary and focuses on adding some of the most popular RM feature requests.

Let's start with custom fields...

The custom fields you'll find in RM 1.1 are similar to the custom user fields already in XenForo. If you know how to setup those fields, you'll understand how to setup RM custom fields. I'm not going to cover the features in custom resource fields that are part of custom user fields (such as making a field required or the value display HTML).

Display Locations

Custom resource fields can be displayed in 4 different locations:
  1. Above the resource description
  2. Below the resource description
  3. In the "Extra Info" tab
  4. In its own tab
Within each group you can set a display order. The group and the order will affect where the fields are displayed on the resource create/edit form.

Field Types

Resource fields can be all the standard types:
  1. Single and multi-line text boxes
  2. Single selection radios or drop downs
  3. Multi-selection check boxes or drop downs
However, there is a new option: rich text boxes. Rich text boxes get the full editor and support BB code as you'd expect. This will generally be combined with placing the field in it's own tab. For example, you could create a "FAQ" field that's a rich text box and put it into its own tab.

Category Limits

As you would expect, different custom fields can be specified per resource category. I'm not sure what else to say about this. :)

When Viewing a Resource

Here's what you might see when viewing a resource:

upload_2013-9-18_13-48-44.webp

You can see the fields above (location 1) and below (location 2) the description, as well as the "Extra Info" tab (location 3). There is a field called "FAQ" set to be in its own tab (location 4).

Obviously this is still in development, so expect some tweaks over time.

Keep an eye out in this forum as we announce more of the new features coming in RM 1.1!

Fantastic stuff!

Might I suggest a couple of new custom field types which may come in particularly handy when combined with RM:
  • Attachment fields - this would expand the potential RM uses massively!
  • Username fields - makes use of the auto-populate username feature
We can get really creative once we've got some of these extra field types. Having a rich text editor is a great start.

Really nice, I think this is one of those features that will enable different sites to have different functionality for the Resource Manager, and in turn further customize it to whatever their need is.

I can already see this being used in download sections to add all kind of meta-data

Great feature that will help a lot to structure resources. A possible extension of this feature would be to have a custom bug tracker in a tab (only available on XenForo or available in a premium addon product), which means to have interaction with users. Anyway, just for the possibility to add a FAQ tab, this is a major improvement. Thanks for this.

Any feature releases always get betas.

Oh and I thought it'd be obvious, but we're not running this here yet. We always tend to have a period of announcing new features before XF.com is upgraded. It'd sort of defeat the point. :)

Can I just point out that making suggestions here is generally not useful/productive? This is doubly true when they have no relation to custom fields (or whatever topic the HYS is about).

You should post in the RM suggestion forum -- though look for an existing suggestion. There's probably an existing one already.

Yeah, this looks nice :)

I may actually buy the resource manager eventually, although when that will be, I have no idea :P

Liam

It is very nice to see that the software carefully advances: No rush for features no one really needs, but the small things that will make it better with every release. Love it! (y)

Top Bottom