Push Wordpress Comments To Associated Thread In Forums

cmeinck

I've just enabled the News Feeds in XenForo beta 6. It's pulling stories from my blog and creating new threads for discussion. The trouble is that I have two places where people can discuss a topic. They can post a reply to the original blog posting OR they can post a reply in the forum thread that's created.

Ideally, I'd like to centralize comments. I don't mind allowing posting in both places, but in that case the discussion needs to be the same in both places. If I'm correct, I believe that's how it worked in the vB CMS. While I don't need an XF front-end, I would like to unify comments on news articles.

Any suggestions or ideas on how to make this happen are welcome.

Totally agreed. It's not good to have community interaction split apart, we learned a painful lesson about that with vBlog. It's vastly better for community critical mass and interaction for all discussion to appear where everyone can see it. cmeinck is right, ideally you want the comments to show under the blog post, but actually be stored in the forum system.

::tosses two shiny coins in hat::

Have you looked at this one?
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/wordpress-3-bridge.5398/

That's something i'm interested in as i used a similar bridge in VB before I discontinued it and replaced it with Disqus system.

In the old WP-VB bridge, you can publish a WP post and have it create a thread in one of your forums. Obviously, i would love the registered users to be able to comment on one side and appears on the other side. I allow guest comments so i don't know how it will appear on XF side.

Have you looked at this one?
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/wordpress-3-bridge.5398/

That's something i'm interested in as i used a similar bridge in VB before I discontinued it and replaced it with Disqus system.

In the old WP-VB bridge, you can publish a WP post and have it create a thread in one of your forums. Obviously, i would love the registered users to be able to comment on one side and appears on the other side. I allow guest comments so i don't know how it will appear on XF side.

I have seen this, but it doesn't resolve the problem. It just allows for registered members of XF to comment on the blog.

With the adoption of feeds in beta 6, it's only natural that forum owners are going to be pulling content from their blogs/homepages. The result being two places where users can comment and two conversations about a particular topic.

Here's perfect example. I just wrote this post about how Windows Phone 7 Needs a Flagship Phone. People can easily comment on my wordpress blog and will have no idea that a conversation could be taking place in the news forum.

If find a way to link all comments to the forum, that would increase registration and centralize comments to the forum.

I have seen this, but it doesn't resolve the problem. It just allows for registered members of XF to comment on the blog.

With the adoption of feeds in beta 6, it's only natural that forum owners are going to be pulling content from their blogs/homepages. The result being two places where users can comment and two conversations about a particular topic.
Agree. That's a problem that many of us are facing as owners of WP-XF community.
I hope xfrocks will be able to further develop the bridge (he is a talented coder. He has done 2 custom mods for my site recently)

Here's perfect example. I just wrote this post about how Windows Phone 7 Needs a Flagship Phone. People can easily comment on my wordpress blog and will have no idea that a conversation could be taking place in the news forum.

If find a way to link all comments to the forum, that would increase registration and centralize comments to the forum.
Taking it further, they can comment using FB log in (who doesn't have one these days) or one of the external login that XF will develop in the future.

So in one shot, they can comment, sign up to the forum if needed. The system will detect if they are already a logged in XF member and use their ID.

I still don't know how the guest commenting will be handled from the xF side.

At the point of where they would like to comment, it's a perfect time to secure a new member, a perfect time to gain one more registration.

I want this as well.

I think the best solution is to have a xenforo thread be the Comments thread vs. using native wordpress comments.
What do others think ?

should everythingwm be everythingwp ?
:)

I myself, don't mind the Blog discussion to be just on the blog .... but I would like that Wordpress Blog entries have a "PlaceHolder entry" in the forum what's new ..... and that placeholder entry gets pushed to the top of What's New when a new Wordpress comment takes place.

Essentially this placeholder would serve to show Blog activity in the forums. (ie. that a new Wordpress Article or comment to that article has taken place) Clicking on the placeholder directs you to the Wordpress article ! :)

Note: this placeholder would not allow xenforo replies ... it is essentially just a redirect.

Notee: this system would require that Wordpress communicate with this placeholder:
(1) create the placeholder when a new Wordpress Article is created.
(2) Update the placeholder when a comment has been made.
(3) maybe the placeholder could even be "Watched" ? (ie. alert integration !).

The same could be used for articles, images, calendar items, wiki items ... etc.

Note: I want this same "Place Holder" "fake" entry thing to integrate the wiki XenCarta with the Forum.
And I'd want it for a gallery ....
and .....
and .....

Maybe xenforo should consider building an infrastructre to "Addon" integration ?

I want this as well.

I think the best solution is to have a xenforo thread be the Comments thread vs. using native wordpress comments.
What do others think ?

should everythingwm be everythingwp ?
:)

I agree. It would would be ideal. Even a link to comment would work. If they are unregistered, it would push them directly to registration.

Unfortunately, I had everythingWM before WP. I had changed the name of the site once, so didn't want to go through the hassle when WP7 hit.

Hate to bump a thread, but has anyone seen any further development in this area?

This isnt what you want but this is what I've been planning to do.

The blogs/articles on WP will have a link/button below them that says 'click here to comment' and when users click on it, it takes them to a related forum thread and this will centralise all comments.

I think that's your best bet until true integration is achieved.

The blogs/articles on WP will have a link/button below them that says 'click here to comment' and when users click on it, it takes them to a related forum thread and this will centralise all comments.

But ... when you View the WP article ...
(1) will the xenforo comments appear below ?
(2) will the number of xenforo comments appear on the wordpress page ?

Vivvo CMS (alternative to wordpress) has some comment integration with xenforo.

The xenForo Forum Bridge is intended to be used with Vivvo v4.5.2 and xenForo forum v1.0.1.

The bridge integrates these two pieces of software allowing
one login, registration, and user modification point for both systems
comment integration.
Integration includes a xenForo Bot, which will automatically create a new topic when a user wishes to discuss/comment the article.

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/what-do-you-think-about-vivvo-cms.15772/

Top Bottom