Post new thread button in different locations?

Floren

I just noticed that the Post New Thread button at the top is displayed differently, if a forum has sub-forums. Is this intended? Compare these 2 links:
Forum Location and Sub-Forum Location

I think it would look better if the button is displayed into same location, in both cases (next to bread crumbs).

Upvote 0
I think it would look better if the button is displayed into same location, in both cases (next to bread crumbs).

I totally agree. But certainly not next to the breadcrumb. Moving it away from the breadcrumb already was an improvement, but it should always be in the same position:

So what I said here still stands for me. From all our suggestions Kier came up with a placement/solution that we didn't think of ourselves (where have I experienced this before? ;)) and in my opinion this placement (without the 'jumping' of the button that is) is the best. Granted, not so ideal (too much white space) when you have subforums, but for the layout without subs it looks the best as the above second screenshot/mockup proves.

That is by design and was the result of some protracted discussion on another thread.

I'll see if I can find it.

It was specifically moved from the breadcrumbs due to forums with lots of sub-forums.

Edit: Found it - http://xenforo.com/community/thread...n-of-key-buttons-next-to-the-breadcrumb.3066/
Aha, good point. Then, isn't better to have the Forum Location button match the Sub-Forum Location one?
Just for uniformity reasons... Still, personally, I never liked the way sub-forums are displayed on a page:

wrong-position-of-key-buttons-in-xf-png.1405

Look at the huge space the sub-forums take. Personally, I would a fairy noticeable button that show the list of sub-forums, when you hover over it. The perfect example is present into forum home. We see the forum and right under there is a nice Sub-Forum link that lists all sub-forums into a dropdown format.

I'm going to open another suggestion thread for this.

Aha, good point. Then, isn't better to have the Forum Location button match the Sub-Forum Location one?

That's what I am saying :).

Still, personally, I never liked the way sub-forums are displayed on a page: Look at the huge space the sub-forums take.

My screenshot was a mock up. It doesn't quite correctly display how the subforums look in real life. Here is a correct example:

http://img828.imageshack.us/img828/9604/themiraculousbutton.png
(taken from this posting)

Personally, I would a fairy noticeable button that show the list of sub-forums, when you hover over it. The perfect example is present into forum home. We see the forum and right under there is a nice Sub-Forum link that lists all sub-forums into a dropdown format.

Well, yeah... just look at the Soulcalibur IV Tactics example I linked to above... the list is huge and it results in the [Post New Thread] button completely out of reach (in the former position of that button). This awkward positioning only became apparent when the subforums were moved to the top actually. In XF the subforums were positioned at the bottom of the forum thread list in the first alpha/beta (?) versions and then the position of the button next to the breadcrumb was actually good (and innovative).

Top Bottom