New usergroup promotion appears to have broken previous manually applied group membership

CTXMedia

I created a new usergroup on CycleChat last night. Set-up the promotion, and today, as people have logged in, the promotion has been applied to their accounts - great so far.

However I have a group that I manually add people to in order for them to use the CometChat chatroom and for a number of people that usergroup has been removed - they are no longer a member.

Has anyone come across anything like this before?

Cheers,
Shaun :D

It appears to have affect those who've logged in since I made the usergroup promotion change last night - it would seem that manually applied secondary group membership have been overwritten by the application of the new promotion.

Anyone able to test and confirm this? If so it's a bug, if not I've done something wrong in the ACP.

Thanks,

Okay, looking through the logs it doesn't appear that group removal is logged at all - so there's no way of tracking when someone is demoted - anyone able to confirm this please?

Just trying to get my head around the original condition.

All members are in the Registered group by default.
Some are also in a CometChat group, applied manually.
You have since set up a User Group Promotion to automatically add people to the CometChat group.
Anyone who has been active recently has had the promotion applied and been removed from the CometChat group?

Is that correct?

What are the criteria for the promotion?

I wonder if they have somehow had the Promotion Disabled flag set?
Can you check?

See here for information on that: http://xenforo.com/help/user-group-promotions/

Okay, no, it's a little different.

All members are in the Registered group by default.
Some are also in the Chat group (manually applied).

I had three automated promotions:
  • Member - after 5 posts
  • Member plus - after 90 days
  • Member full - after 182 days
Last night I added a new usergroup:
  • Member extra - after 15 posts
I then changed the promotions so they looked/worked as follows:
  • Registered > Member - after 5 posts
  • Member > Member plus - after 15 posts
  • Member Plus > Member Extra - 90 days
  • Member Extra > Member full - after 182 days
Afterwards the people who had the manually applied Chat usergroup had it removed.

I've checked - and it seem to be the users who have logged in since last night that have had the Chat usergroup removed.

I've just realised - writing it out like this - that I changed the criteria of the Member Plus from 90 days to 15 posts - could that have screwed things up?

Cheers,

What has me puzzled though is why it would affect the Chat usergroup - it's like it's wiped out the manually applied changes and re-applied all promotions - which is unexpected, and not desirabled either!! :eek:

That is to say it appears that way - it may not be the case at all. (y)

Luckily the Chat group is a small number of members so it's not going to have a big impact and I can manually put them back, but it might be worth someone's time testing a change to an existing promotion to see what happens - there may be a flaw in the promotion system that needs catching - there may not, but if there is it would be good to iron it out. (y)

The system both promotes and demotes users. If a user acquires a promotion and then later he no longer meets the criteria of that promotion then he will be demoted.

The system both promotes and demotes users. If a user acquires a promotion and then later he no longer meets the criteria of that promotion then he will be demoted.

The Chat usergroup membership was a manually applied via the ACP and is not featured in any of the automated promotions - which is what I'm most puzzled by - it should have remained untouched.

From what I can see the usergroup cron has not applied this change (there are chat group members who haven't logged in since the change and they are still in the group) - so it seem to be applied when they login. That seems to be the point when they are removed from the Chat usergroup.

Are there any usergroup checks/changes made when someone logs in?

From what I can see the usergroup cron has not applied this change (there are chat group members who haven't logged in since the change and they are still in the group) - so it seem to be applied when they login. That seems to be the point when they are removed from the Chat usergroup.
The cron only affects members who have been active in the last 72 hours.

Hmm... didn't realise that the promotion criteria also demoted.
That's possibly not a desirable behaviour if you want manual override of usergroup membership.

(ETA: Ah, there's a manual promotion which I presume isn't affected by automatic demotions)

It can be worked around with another usergroup of manually overriden users, but that's duplicating the number of permissions required.

Might raise a suggestion for an "Also perform demotions" tick box for Promotions.

Top Bottom