• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

Mobile Style (Work in Progress)

yoghurtfarmer

I'm in the middle of exams, so I decided to procrastinate a bit by fiddling around with the jQuery mobile framework which was mentioned by Russ in this thread: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/xfstop-mobile-style.9065/

This is about 2 days worth of work editing the xenforo templates to fit within the framework, basically all HTML. It's FAR from complete and being a newbie, there are tons of little quirks that I predict will be troublesome to work out.

NOTE: I don't actually have a smartphone so the sizing/scale of the elements is likely off. Screenshots are from my browser on my PC.

Provided I find the time to work on it (won't be for quite a while) and if I can get it reliable enough, I will likely release it.

If anyone wants to tinker around on their own, check out http://jquerymobile.com/demos/1.0a4/.

Attachments

• xfmobile.webp
    xfmobile.webp
    148.6 KB · Views: 138
  • xfmobile2.webp
    xfmobile2.webp
    28 KB · Views: 124
  • xfmobile3.webp
    xfmobile3.webp
    32.7 KB · Views: 114
  • xfmobile4.webp
    xfmobile4.webp
    13.8 KB · Views: 105
  • xfmobile5.webp
    xfmobile5.webp
    16 KB · Views: 105
Ran into some problems with how the mobile framework handles links and hashes in the url. I managed a workaround via js/jquery but it's not so elegant.

To do:
1. Finish styling all the important pages.
3. Check for missed conditionals.
4. Replace leftover hard coded text with phrases.

PS: Does anyone know if borrowing XF licenses is allowed? If so, I could set up a test forum if anyone has a spare :).

Great work yoghurtfarmer, looking really nice :), I'm glad someone can dedicate more time than I can, and it's turning out great so far.

Great work yoghurtfarmer, looking really nice :), I'm glad someone can dedicate more time than I can, and it's turning out great so far.
Is this a reinventing the wheel or is it a pickup of your work, Russ?
I really can't tell but applaud his effort nonetheless.

Hope to see the fruit of this labor soon.

Is this a reinventing the wheel or is it a pickup of your work, Russ?
I really can't tell but applaud his effort nonetheless.

Hope to see the fruit of this labor soon.

Reinventing the wheel, his and mine are both based off the jquery mobile frame work; except mine is at a development halt so I'm excited to see the updates on this.

I will donate some cash if this is made to work with auto browser select etc ....\
either to the developer or xenforo

Ran into some problems with how the mobile framework handles links and hashes in the url. I managed a workaround via js/jquery but it's not so elegant.

To do:
1. Finish styling all the important pages.
3. Check for missed conditionals.
4. Replace leftover hard coded text with phrases.

PS: Does anyone know if borrowing XF licenses is allowed? If so, I could set up a test forum if anyone has a spare :).
Do you by any chance have an alpha release to play around with (and make changes?)

I second this, I'd really like to play around with it without recreating everything you've done!
Agreed (again lol).

@yoghurtfarmer: my suggestion would be to create an account on GitHub.com and post the style on there. This will allow anyone to make changes + a history of the changes made. Managing add-ons/styles in the form of a thread is cumbersome (and quite primitive, like vB :P)

"XenForo License Agreement
1. Grant and Scope of License

Subject to the terms and conditions of this Agreement and the payment by You of the applicable fee for the Software, XenForo Limited grants You a limited, non-exclusive, worldwide license to install, download and use a single instance of the Software ("License") through a single installation. Each License may run one instance of the Software, accessible via one URL. Any attempt to circumvent this limitation is prohibited and will result in the License being revoked.

Before deploying the Software, you must register in the XenForo.com customer area the address (URL) at which You will use the License. This URL must be kept up-to-date. You may create a single additional test installation for the purpose of testing the Software. Any test installation of this kind must be password protected, and access to it must be limited to You and Your website staff. ..."

http://xenforo.com/license-agreement

Hello everyone, just wanted to give an update.

I haven't had much time at all to work on this style. Life got in the way. I was initially waitlisted for medical school and had to spend a lot of time making alternative arrangements. Yesterday, I was fortunately admitted off the waitlist, but unfortunately to a location that would require me to move. I come from a very poor family, so I have some serious planning to do (massive loans, employment, etc) in order to even remotely make this work out. That's where my priorities lie.

I'll do my best to work on the mobile style when I have the time, but I apologize in advance if this takes forever to complete.

Given the quality of the work on show, I'm sure there are many users who would contribute to this project.

With the lack of mobile support included in 1.1, which I find surprising given the competition, I'm hoping some industrious members will be able to complete this template.

Top Bottom