Megaupload shut down and owners charged

Looks like they are overloaded again.
It was up earlier though, and it looked very smooth and slick, I was reading the terms and conditions, I think that was the first time I have actually read the full T and C's on a site, the layout was so clear and easy to read.

there's another site like megaupload.com .. nice.. .. just sucks though, because in my forum's earlier life, almost all the members used "megaupload.com" to host their image sets... then when megaupload got hit, it was like a huge punch to the community gut and most just threw in towel.. :(. most lost all their stuff they had saved/collected which was hosted on megaupload.com... they didn't keep 'back ups' of any it... so after megaupload incident, alot are skeptical about hosting sites in general. still trying to "recover" from it. :(

Not something I would ever use myself.

That is one of the reasons vVv

Yep, and I don't use them either, never have. Haha. If/when I need something "hosted", I use my own site via attachments... :) But something similar to the megaupload incident / hosting sites.. is image hosts like imagevenue.com, imgbox.com or whatever other ones.. is that members upload tons of images to those image hosts, then after XX days those images or their galleries that aren't "clicked" / accessed... they're taken down off their servers too. (Then I have to run around the forum, fixing or removing "dead image hosted images from posts or remove threads and posts themselves lol.)

Which is main reason why I try and encourage my members to use the attachment system. I spoke to Waindigo in PC, about maybe making a resource (like one I noticed for vB4) that imports images from image hosts, into attachment system as thumbnails / and full sized images so they're not "lost". He said "Would definitely be interested in this in combination with the Thread Thumbnails add-on." :)

Which would be awesome and useful for a forum like mine. ;) I still try and encourage my users to use the attachment system in general though. That way nothing is "lost", unless the forum went down haha.

As for whether Mega would run into similar legal problems, Dotcom said that it was entirely different from Megaupload, all the way down to its core code. The site was built purely in HTML5 – some parts of which aren’t even in the official specification yet. Dotcom touts Mega as the first site in the world to use them. This is one of the reasons that Mega only supports Chrome right now – many of these new features in HTML5 aren’t supported by any browsers yet, but Chrome is ahead of the pack.
Building from the ground like this also has its benefits for server side security. Dotcom pointed out that “Mega doesn’t use any existing technology. The servers were built from the ground up so there is no way that they can be exploited because it’s our own technology.” Additionally, Kim said that “everyone involved in building the site has a background in information security” which meant a lot of care had gone into building security in from the start.
===========
megamovie[1].webp

To explain Megamovie requires an understanding of just how Megakey works. It’s been somewhat of a mystery until today, but Dotcom divulged everyone at the event this afternoon. We know that Megakey replaces advertising online through a piece of software that is installed on end users’ computers, but the specifics of it are a bit more complex. Dotcom says that Megakey only replaces “10% of all advertising” and will only target “the large players like Google and Yahoo. We can justify that by looking at how Google is linking to all content – it really wouldn’t even hurt them.”
[source]

stolen good for all :cautious:
YES

/sarcasm :p

Seriously, there is no difference between Mega or Mega Upload than say for example Drop Box or Google Drive....

Actually there is 1 difference.... MegaUpload gave the MPAA, RIAA, and several large companies direct administrator access to delete things without having to wait for MegaUpload to do anything. And yet they still came after them. :rolleyes:

interesting interview....

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Top Bottom