• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

Mandatory Location

Status
Not open for further replies.

ceribik

This thread is no longer in use. For up to date downloads and support, go here:
http://xenforo.com/community/resources/mandatory-location.8/

This addon simply makes it a requirement for new users to enter a location during registration.

Made as requested from: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/make-location-a-required-field-during-registration.13958/

Compatibility:
XenForo 1.1

Installation:

1. Upload the folder "MandatoryLocation" contained in the zip file to your XenForo/library directory.

2. Install the addon as usual.

3. Do only one of the following:
3a. Add the following code to the template "register_form":
Code:
<xen:include template="MandatoryLocation_Register_Location" />

template_info.webp
3b. Enable the experimental automatic template edit in admin options -> Mandatory Location

4. If you have a non-English forum, you can edit the text used in the admin options.

Donations:
Want to support future development and other mods? Feel free to make a donation:

Download:

The latest download is: Mandatory Location_v1.1.1.zip

Attachments

Change Log:

1.1.1 - 2012/01/21
-fixed issue with manual template not showing correct phrase/option

1.1 - 2012/01/17
-added admin options (to control phrases, automatic template edit, etc)
-added an experimental on-the-fly template edit option
-added criteria: "User has no location set"

1.0 - 2012/01/16
-initial release

Upgrade Instructions:
1.0 -> 1.1
1. Upload new MandatoryLocation folder
2. Update addon via .xml file
3. If using the automatic template edit (experimental), revert the template 'register_form' to the default (or remove the previous edit - see OP).
4. If you edited the phrases for a non-English board, you will have to redo this in the admin options.

Now some suggestions to improve your simple but great add-on :)

• Include the template edits
  • Put the phrases management in options in ACP
  • Make the field more configurable (make a popup locations list for instance)

at last, thank you
does this make use of the current location field in XF or does it use a new custom field?
Is there any intention to expand this to add the location to the postbit ?

Include the template edits
What do you exactly mean by this? Make it so it hooks into the template (i.e. require no template edits)? As far as I could tell, it's not possible with this template. If it is, let me know. Considering 'register_form' will rarely be updated (in fact, I'd be surprised if it was ever updated again), when upgrading to newer versions of Xenforo, you won't have to worry about any outdated template warnings.

Put the phrases management in options in ACP
Sure, I'll add this to the next version.

Make the field more configurable (make a popup locations list for instance)
Wouldn't that be kind of limiting considering there's practically an infinite amount of possible locations?

at last, thank you
does this make use of the current location field in XF or does it use a new custom field?
It does use the original location field. It's not a new custom field.

Is there any intention to expand this to add the location to the postbit ?
I could probably add that as an option in the next version.

Finally! This has been one of the most wanted 'features' in XenForo, at least for me.

Now, I would like this add-on to also place a notice for all members that doesn't have location filled in. A message that will not go away until they have entered the required information.

Sweet. I'll try it as soon as the template edits become part of the install
Any feedback from those who have installed already?

Finally! This has been one of the most wanted 'features' in XenForo, at least for me.

Now, I would like this add-on to also place a notice for all members that doesn't have location filled in. A message that will not go away until they have entered the required information.
I'll see if I can add a criteria for users with the location field blank. That way, you'd be able to make notices (as well as other stuff) to your liking.

I'll see if I can add a criteria for users with the location field blank. That way, you'd be able to make notices (as well as other stuff) to your liking.
that would be most excellent. A little tick box under User Profile and Options: for "user has no location" would be perfect

What's coming in the next version:
  • Admin options to control phrases and other options
  • Ability to do the template edit on-the-fly (experimental, is optional and not recommended)
  • Criteria for users with no location set (for use in notices, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom