Looking to import a Big Board+vbseo from vb3

ibrian

Hi all!

I've been waiting and hoping that vb5 might work sometime soon, but I think it's time to move to Xenforo - I'm already sold on the software and support - just not the Xenforo look - but as it can now provide a vb5 skin, I'm sold. :)

However, what I'm concerned about is the hassle of moving over. It's not simply a big upgrade to a new software platform, I'm also running vbseo.

So I have the headache of upgrading vb3 to xenforo, plus also trying to preserve my URLs if possible (I would prefer that than moving to xenforo URLs if possible - if not, then ensuring I can redirect all the previous URLs).

Ideally, I'd like to install xenforo on a fresh domain - a .com version of my .co.uk.

I've been reading around various threads here for some time, and frankly I'm just left feeling a little confused.

So, let's see if I've got this right:

1. I should be fine to convert vb 3.8 to xenforo using nothing more than a xenforo licence. The import may be a little slow, but so long as I have the file paths correct I should experience no real problems.

2. I'm using custom vbseo rules, but this page should help me create working redirects to the new xenforo URLs. If it doesn't work, open a support ticket and hope Jake Bunce is around!

3. If I feel really panicky about all this, I should book in Slavik to do the conversion for me.

Now...have I got that correct? :)

Last edited:
You can't keep the same URL structure im afraid from vb3, but redirects are all possible.

1) Yup, it will import fine, it may just take a while.

2) Thats right, the pre-sets work prefectly!

3) If you do, drop me a PC :)

Cheers for the reply. :)

I'll probably also need to add the Blogs Free addon, too, as there doesn't appear to be an official blogs mod?

One last question, though - will thread views also be imported? Just wasn't sure if that data comes through with the thread import or separately.

Cheers for the reply. :)

I'll probably also need to add the Blogs Free addon, too, as there doesn't appear to be an official blogs mod?

One last question, though - will thread views also be imported? Just wasn't sure if that data comes through with the thread import or separately.

No official blogs yet.

Thread views get imported (if you mean how many people have looked at that thread).

Top Bottom