• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

[LiquidPro] Features Gather for Review System

John L.

Hi All,

For one of our next projects we are looking to create a Review System that functions within XenForo. I would like to do some feature gathering for this and see how many people are interested in a product of this nature. Please like this post if you are interested and feel free to respond with what you think this system should do. This will be of course one of many projects we are looking to do. For those who know of me and LiquidPro, we are still planning to do Forms, but have been side-tracked by some other requests. But we would like to work on a BIG premium add-on. We are of course looking for developers to work with us, so if you're interested please PM me. Otherwise, please let us know what you think. Thanks!

List of expected features from users:
  • TBD

Regards,
John

If it is something that could be dynamically labeled and categorized with different input fields I would be interested. I need a registry system but don't mind making something work if that is what is needed.

If it is something that could be dynamically labeled and categorized with different input fields I would be interested. I need a registry system but don't mind making something work if that is what is needed.

So you're looking for a system that allows you to set custom categories and fields to post when you review something?

I am looking to be able to have something that can be used as a registry database for vehicles or other stuff, ours being tractors. I know what I need wouldn't suit what other's need which is why I think if it could be dynamic it could fill the role of many things.

An example of what we have right now would be http://gardentractortalk.com/registry/

Having the categories as a drop down select list when adding a new entry or editing would be ideal. I don't know what the best way to explain it while still being able to be used for multiple purposes.

I am looking to be able to have something that can be used as a registry database for vehicles or other stuff, ours being tractors. I know what I need wouldn't suit what other's need which is why I think if it could be dynamic it could fill the role of many things.

An example of what we have right now would be http://gardentractortalk.com/registry/

Having the categories as a drop down select list when adding a new entry or editing would be ideal. I don't know what the best way to explain it while still being able to be used for multiple purposes.

I see, I'm not exactly sure if it would work, but we will try to make it as dynamic as possible for people to use in a flexible manner.

Searching the forums here ....

Review Script for Product Reviews: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/review-script-for-product-reviews.6927
[Suggestion] Review content - http://xenforo.com/community/threads/suggestion-review-content.3236/

I've replied to those threads asking people to make suggestions here.

I see Alfa1 has suggestions :)

Something similar to iReviews, GARS, jReviews and that will allow us to create our own review section, similar to tripadvisor, hotels.com, GSMarena.com, amazon.com, CNET, etc.

A review is basically the same as an article, but has custom fields functions, possibility to add predefined questions to those fields and rating functions. The author gives ratings. Users can respond to the review with comments and with ratings. This yields an average user rating.

• Reviews should have different sections, so you could for example have sections for movie reviews, restaurant reviews and product reviews.
  • permissions per section
  • The overview of reviews of each section, should allow for different display options, to be set by the admin.
  • Reviews should have:
  • Author ratings, with pretty AJAX stars, bars and other pretty rating scales.
  • Member ratings
  • Combined rating averages.
  • Rating value should have an alt text. For example: if you choose to have ratings with 1 - 5 stars, then hovering over a 5 star rating could state 'excellent', while hovering over a 1 star rating could stat
  • Admins should be able to define rating questions and custom fields.
  • Custom fields should allow:
    1. fields that work like tags. i.e. clicking on the word 'spaghetti' in a custom field would lead to all restaurants that serve spaghetti.
    2. fields with AJAX autofill functions.
    3. single line text fields
    4. multiple line text fields
    5. mandatory fields
    6. tickbox fields
    7. payment methods icons
  • Google maps integration.
  • amazon.com affiliate integration
  • allow paid listing trough subscriptions and paid expanded listings. (when paid for more custom fields become visible)
  • Ability to compare prices of all vendors that sell product X
  • Summary charts for all restaurants that serve Y. i.e. a table that lists those restaurant, with the data from custom fields, as the admin defines.
  • Search for restaurants that have specific data in custom fields X, Y and Z.
Reviews should be loaded with interactive AJAX functions.

A review system? This is what I need!

The general idea would be to modify the threads a bit and add a thread rating system so that others can rate the thread/product. Also, the admin should be able to add extra fields, for instance, if my site is about reviewing vehicles, when creating the thread, there would be extra fields to fill out such as:

Make [______]
Model [_______]
year[ _________]

and so on.

People who post comments should be able to rate the product as well, so there would be more than one rating. in the first post footer, we should see something like:
40 reviews: 3.8 ***

I can't think of anything else right now.

Suggestions so far look good to me. I did write out some notes for my own when I was looking at writing our own review mod for my sports related site. Here is a more generic version of that list:

I’d like the site to ask for some additional details on the user leaving a rating.

• user skill level (options defined by admin)
  • user height
  • user weight
  • length of time with item
User ratings on a level of 1 to 5: (options defined by admin, (or better yet an ability for users to suggest additional items on a new review. For example a review for a golf club will have different items of interest then a review for a car.))

• Storage
  • Comfort
  • Quality/Reliability of Build
  • Value

Thanks for considering this project.

is this dead or alive?

we must move on something like jReviews but we fear bridges and the lurking trolls beneath!

is this dead or alive?

we must move on something like jReviews but we fear bridges and the lurking trolls beneath!

This is definitely on the back-burner as we work on more important addons such as Forms. Once Forms has been released and is stable we will begin working on a review system.

Since it seems that the Simple Forms mod is now live (http://www.liquidpro.net/products/xenforo-addons/simple-forms/), perhaps you wouldn't mind taking into account a few of my suggestions/needs when developing the review script? :)

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/paid-creating-retrieving-threads-from-outside-of-xenforo.23580/
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/brainstorming-unique-md5-productids-thread-creation.20613/

P.S. I don't even know if it's possible to grab stuff from the XF database and display certain information (like a specific post or a specific thread) outside of the XF framework. If not, then I need to make a suggestion in the Suggestions: Bigger Features part of this forum.

Thanks!
-N

I would love to see a Review system add-on....If your looking for feature requests it would be nice to have the ability to show parts of the the review but some parts reserved for premium members in order to tease or stimulate them into upgrading.

I like the idea of a product ratings engine or product reviews | service reviews engine. I just posted it in the suggestions - because a simple search on the site could not find these threads!

I used a couple keywords in my post that may help this be found easier.

Such a system does not have to be too complicated. I hacked one together that has been around for a couple years and I have thousands of ratings in it.

http://www.hearth.com/ratings/

Mine is, of course, not tied to a login......or a CMS.

Most of the needed features are pretty obvious....a nice one we implemented is that each review is emailed to an admin with a link in the email to allow it or to delete it. This does away with reviews that are incomplete or otherwise not right.

I'll keep an eye on this thread.

I think it is important to have ADMIN set custom fields (unlike above where they asked for storage etc) so those who want to do product reviews can, those who want to do website reviews can, those who want to do movie reviews can.

I think it's important that there is obviously a rating out of 5 (but I guess admins could determine that), but overall think the must have things are:
- When a review is done the thumbnail of an image in the review is used near the title
- When a review is done an average rating is determined and posted.
- Should be searchable by name, date, rating, cost, etc more or less what ever the admins want.

Top Bottom