1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fixed Kindle Fire / Silk Browser - Missing On-Screen Keyboard in Replies

Discussion in 'Resolved Bug Reports' started by Alien, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Alien

Alien Well-Known Member

Reported by one of our members...

This was tested on multiple Fire's with the same results (even on XenForo.com), using v.6.1, 6.2 and the current v.6.2.1.

Can anyone else reproduce?

2. SneakyDave

SneakyDave Well-Known Member

I can confirm this, the crappy Silk browser. It may be due to the rich text editor. Switching to the plain text editor works for me.

Alien likes this.
  3. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

It--like most mobile browsers--doesn't handle contenteditable well. Do you know what the user agent is? We can disable the RTE for it.

4. SneakyDave

This is what I see in my access log. I have the " Accelerated" option in silk turned off, and it works a little better.

1.2.3.4 - - [05/Jan/2012:15:41:10 -0600] "GET /community/css.php?css=xenforo,form,public&style=4&dir=LTR&d=1325796898 HTTP/1.1" 200 19723 "http://blahblahblah.com/community/" "Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.4; en-us; Silk/1.1.0-84) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1 Silk-Accelerated=false"

5. Mike

That appears to be identified as Mobile Safari by our code, which does not have the RTE enabled anyway. Can you confirm the user agent here? http://whatsmyuseragent.com/

6. SneakyDave

I thought it looked weird too, but I double checked. whatsmyuseragent.com says

Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.4; en-us; Silk/1.1.0-84) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1 Silk-Accelerated=false

7. Mike

Well, that's the same thing. I've tested it against our code and it matches the "mobile" type, which automatically disables the rich text editor. What are you seeing in the editor area?

8. SneakyDave

Right now, I'm seeing the bare bones editor. Just the box and no rich text icons. In my original post up above, it was showing the rich text editor. I think I fixed it by turning off the "accellerated web browsing" in Silk, which uses some goofy Amazon cloud cache to speed things up I think.

Alien likes this.
  9. SneakyDave

I think it's a browser issue. I'm going to see if I can duplicate the problem showing the rich text editor

10. Alien

Alien Well-Known Member

Here is what I got from two test cases experiencing the issue (One Fire, one HTC Evo 4g, Sprint):

1) Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10_6_3; en-us; Silk/1.1.0-84) AppleWebKit/533.16 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0 Safari/533.16 Silk-Accelerated=true

(Tried disabling Accelerated, but did not fix anything)

2) Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10_6_3; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.16 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0 Safari/533.16

11. Mike

We can probably detect Silk in the first one, but otherwise that's a desktop user agent.

The second one is entirely a desktop user agent -- so unfortunately, there's not much we can do. I believe that I saw this once before and it was in a desktop masking mode.

(The problem is that the browsers actually support the RTE, but they don't know how to bring up the keyboard, so feature detection doesn't even work.)

Alien likes this.
  12. Alien

Alien Well-Known Member

Follow-ups:

Kindle Fire

HTC Evo 4g/Sprint

Hope this helps...

13. a legacy reborn

a legacy reborn Well-Known Member

I am replying to this thread via my kindle and it is functioning normally.

Edit from PC: Ok, the issue only occurs when using desktop browing as the RTE appears but when using mobile it works fine. Browser Issue?

14. Mike

I've added detection with "Silk-Accelerated" so that it's considered a mobile browser.

I don't see how Swype would change the user agent to show as a desktop browser, so that report is particularly weird. If we can get his user agent when it occurs (http://whatsmyuseragent.com/), then we can handle that. However, I'd do that in a separate bug report as this is related to Silk specifically.

Alien and a legacy reborn like this.