Keyword Digest or Search RSS option

MRaburn

Hey guys!

I am looking for input on how I can move our 175k member forum over to Xenforo. I am dying to do so but have one small challenge. Im not so much worried about galleries, garages etc, BUT I am concerned about a feature I have in place for our 'sponsors'. Basically we have the DriveThru Vendors tools installed. The feature our vendors love is the keyword notify tool. They are able to setup a list of keywords and get e daily email digest of threads of their interest. I need a way to do this in Xenforo.

I was thinking that maybe there is a way to setup a RSS feed on a keyword? Where our sponsors could use an RSS Reader and be able to watch threads based on keywords set to the RSS URL.

Any suggestions would be great, I really want Xen so bad!! :P

Mike
stangnet.com

.. I am concerned about a feature I have in place for our 'sponsors'. Basically we have the DriveThru Vendors tools installed. The feature our vendors love is the keyword notify tool. They are able to setup a list of keywords and get e daily email digest of threads of their interest. I need a way to do this in Xenforo.
Valuable idea for the Sponsors. Saves them time.

what about your classifieds ? Looks pretty busy.
Are you going to use http://xenforo.com/community/threads/xf-classifieds.14894/ ? when it is done ?

I have not given much thought to the classifieds. We have gone back and forth on classifieds, from stand alone systems to Photopost Classifieds etc and our users always resort back to the Forums setup. I think they just want to be able to see results from a general search in the forums, not an outside method.

If the Addon was just made so that extra options to a thread could be used like auto expire and relist, that would be all that's really needed.

Some kind of way to get my keyword tool working and Im all over Xenforo.

I have not given much thought to the classifieds. We have gone back and forth on classifieds, from stand alone systems to Photopost Classifieds etc and our users always resort back to the Forums setup. I think they just want to be able to see results from a general search in the forums, not an outside method.
Definitely true.
It is true for all content. Or should be.
Images, articles, Blogs, Wiki, Classifieds, Downloads, Addons/Mods, etc. .... all need to show up in the Forums, specifically What's New.

The vBulletin Blog was a failure because it wasn't a part of the forum. vB Groups failed for the same reason. Groups was a good way keeping stuff away from the rest of the forum. Some sites might like that, most expect the opposite.

Should you give users the option to not see the Classifieds ? Yes, of course.
Xenforo would do well by making sure all content ends up in What's New.
(note: the first iteration of what's new only shows forum posts).

Just being on a different Tab than forums, especially if your content doesn't show up "in the forums" ... reduces the use of items.
xenforo.member.activity.hidden.in.members.tab.webp

They stated they were not going to do any work in Xenforo. :/

I really am not interested in all the fancy stuff... just the keyword part.

It looks like Searches in Xen are cached for a later query? If they were a 'live' search then I could just get our vendors some short URLS to use for their purpose, but Im not sure that would work.

Any other ideas?

There is no keyword RSS thing like you want. Custom development is required.

It looks like Searches in Xen are cached for a later query? If they were a 'live' search then I could just get our vendors some short URLS to use for their purpose, but Im not sure that would work.

You can disable search caching with an addon:

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/ragtek-stop-search-caching.18446/

It is based on this file modification:

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/disable-search-caching.18439/

If you read the first post you will see a URL you can use for submitting a new search by keyword:

Note that the cache will still be employed if you link directly to the search results. You need to submit a new search if you want fresh results. You can use a URL to submit a new search if you want. Use this format:

index.php?search/search/&keywords=term

Top Bottom