XF 1.2 Javascript help needed urgently please to solve redactor lag

Stuart Wright

Folks, I know the issue I'm having is related to the style we are using and/or an addon, but lots of people are reporting a horrendous lag when using the rich text editor.
I have never seen any lag, so I can't diagnose the problem.
I also don't know how to identify potential javascript problems as I'm not familiar with JS programming.
Can anyone please take a look here
http://www.avforums.com/threads/battlefield-4.1777498/
and tell me if there is a Javascript which is hogging the CPU?
Thanks.

@Stuart Wright,

If you fancy it, you could try the beta version of jQuery 1.11.0. It's currently at Beta 3. It is known to solve some IE11 related stuff.

Bug fixes: Lots and lots of bug fixes are in this release, including several to ensure the latest versions of browsers like IE11 work smoothly and eliminate console warnings in Chrome. Many fixes are shared across both versions. You can see the complete changelog below.

Download jQuery 1.11.0 Beta 3 (Minified)

Upload to your js/jquery directory (including on your CDN, I believe you use one)

Open library/XenForo/Application.php

Change line 37 to:
PHP:
public static $jQueryVersion = '1.11.0-beta3';

Ensure your jQuery source is set to "Local"

upload_2014-1-4_12-4-51.webp

Check the source of your site. You should see:
upload_2014-1-4_12-5-54.webp

And there should be no errors in your javascript console.

Then check with the members reporting the issue if it has made a difference.

Whether it makes a difference or not, it may be worth reporting the findings here: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/missing-characters-in-the-editor-in-ie-11.61860/

I believe these reports pertain to the same behaviour.

We had horrible lag on the "Core" style with iPad, IE and some other browsers which was somewhat fixed by removing some of the CSS effects.

The problem now is that I can't reproduce the problem any more but we still get lots of complaints about it from users.

I can imagine with the size of your userbase you'll see lots of different behaviour but if you narrow it down to something specific it'd be good to know :-)

Thanks for the replies. It's happening on a variety of operating systems and browsers. Ipad 2 is one with several browsers being used.
So it's not specifically an IE11 bug. Least ways, that's not the conclusion one would naturally draw from the evidence.
Yes we have a lot of users, but our bounce rate has gone up from 70% to 75% since we moved to Xenforo so there is something wrong somewhere.
Chris I installed jQuery beta3 on our sandbox and right away it breaks Mike's @Audentio header.
I'll have a look at it further, but this calls into question how many other things on the site might be broken also with beta3.
temp1.webp

e3x-.png

profiled in IE11 during typing in editor (starting after page load)

definitely doesn't look right, but can't honestly say it's subjectively unresponsive

What we might do then is perhaps try something else rather than what I've been doing, switching out the images via javascript. Want to use CSS instead?

Did you get anywhere with this @Stuart Wright? Initially we had this problem with editor lag and it was caused by some fancy CSS which we had to remove but now we're getting it again and it seems related to us having the Better Analytics Addon installed.

It's frustrating as we get lots of users complaining but its hard to diagnose and as it doesn't happen on here or with a fresh install it seems to get ignored.

We have Better Analytics. Does activating/deactivating the addon fix the issue for you, then?
I've not seen any redactor lag for a while or read any complaints. But I know it's not perfect because on an ipad, you can't place the cursor in text by tapping. You have to drag it.

We have Better Analytics. Does activating/deactivating the addon fix the issue for you, then?
I've not seen any redactor lag for a while or read any complaints. But I know it's not perfect because on an ipad, you can't place the cursor in text by tapping. You have to drag it.

I think I might have been a bit premature blaming better analytics. I thought it was the only recent change we'd made but I forgot about the twitter bbcode Addon. With that I can literally turn it on/off and see the editor lag come/go so I think that's the likely culprit.

I think I might have been a bit premature blaming better analytics. I thought it was the only recent change we'd made but I forgot about the twitter bbcode Addon. With that I can literally turn it on/off and see the editor lag come/go so I think that's the likely culprit.
I would let the author know. We don't have that addon.

Top Bottom