Is xenForo mobile friendly?

loophole

Hello,

I have been perusing and googling around for xF features. I have seen the hard work you have done to make xF what it is today.

However I have noted when accessing this community forum on my mobile phone (Samsung GT B5722) it doesn't display automatically in mobile friendly format.

Unlike vB4 and Vanillaforums.org and community.invisionpower.com just to give a few examples.

Considering that more people now are accessing the internet using mobile phones than desktops and laptops, this is a main weakness of this otherwise wonderful script.

I read in one forum a suggestion to use forum runner and tapa talk, but those are not really user friendly solution because they require mobile user to buy the app. Something which I feel most users won't do because they are used to accessing forums for free.

So where are you with integrating an auto-detecting mobile solution for xF? Something that would serve a classic desktop/laptop forum like this if it detects a laptop, and would switch to a mobile style if it detects a mobile.

Thanks

The XenForo developers have stated that one of the upcoming features in version 1.2 will be a mobile theme. The information on this has been minimal and has been a while since we heard anything other than 1.2 is still in development.

However, there is a mobile theme available for download. http://xenforo.com/community/resources/xfs-mobile-style.290/

It isn't fully functional (at least not as functional I'd expect a core mobile theme to be) and you'd require further add-ons to make it auto detect a mobile (also available).

So it's all in the pipeline and already possible if you don't mind third party solutions.

Finally, though, I have to say that I browse this site on my mobile all the time. It isn't perfect, but it's a lot better than some non-mobile sites. I get on ok without a mobile theme.

Mobile support allegedly will come in Xenforo, 1.2. But since there is a lack of a roadmap no one really knows. A recent announcement was made by XF that they don't know when they will announce an estimated release date.

There is a third party mobile theme, but there are quirks implementing it. There is no native mobile support as all Xenforo competitors seem to do now.

What do you say if we donate some money to xF to speed up development of native mobile support?

I think native mobile support is critically important. We are 20,000+ members, if just 10% of us donate $10 that should be $20,000+ .... which I suppose is enough to pay for such development.

What do you say if we donate some money to xF to speed up development of native mobile support?

I think native mobile support is critically important. We are 20,000+ members, if just 10% of us donate $10 that should be $20,000+ .... which I suppose is enough to pay for such development.
It's not really a matter of funding.

Apple iPhone 4S (to answer your previous question).

For the record, the http://xenforo.com/community/resources/xfs-mobile-style.290/ style requires ONE add-on to work :)
That's right, I worded it wrong, sorry. It only requires one add-on to work, but there's more than one method that can achieve the auto switching.

You could always use ForumRunner or Tapatalk on your board. Both have apps that work with Xenforo and are available for several mobile platforms like Andriod and Iphone. Not sure about Windows Phone but I'm sure they probably do.

You could always use ForumRunner or Tapatalk on your board. Both have apps that work with Xenforo and are available for several mobile platforms like Andriod and Iphone. Not sure about Windows Phone but I'm sure they probably do.

I heard about that. But user must pay to get full functionality. A native code by xenForo itself would be nice.

True, but it's only $2 (I think tapatalk has a free ad version actually). The user can put multiple forums on there. I buy/sell/flip forums so it's worth it for me to have all my forums running these apps.

What is the matter then?

In short, vB is suing XF. The lawsuit is a time and money sink.

Donations have been discussed before. The problem is red tape when it comes to donating to a company. To make everything legit, donations should take the form of license purchases. It should be OK if you wanted to collect donations and then submit an order for extra licenses using that money. Though I'm not sure that would affect speed of development.

Top Bottom