Is there a CMS planned?

The XF community - which only exists as a potential not an actual community right now - needs to hear that this priority is on the roadmap. That cms and/ or gallery are the first priority after the forum itself is stable.
That much I think would reassure those who desperately need these essentials in order to become XF buyers rather than lost to XF.
While I understand your overall point, I can assure you the XF community does exist as an actual community right now (just look at the stats - 1,600 members and 42,000 posts - this is not just a "potential" community) and I would say a good portion of us, if not the majority, aren't worried about having a CMS now or having an exact timeline for one, otherwise we wouldn't be here. For most of us, Kier and Mike's answer is sufficient, as we understand that they need to work on the core product now and aren't sure about the future of a CMS. And that's not a problem for us. :)

At the risk of simply stating what has been said before, consider our situation.

Right now, we have our base product at its alpha stage. We have made no sales so far, and have no accurate means of estimating what our sales will look like. I could tell you that a CMS is coming within a year of the forum going gold, but it would be a meaningless statement.

There are simply too many variables. For example, if we sell hundreds of licenses every day as soon as sales begin, we will be looking to hire staff in a hurry to deal with demand, and we could see a significantly larger development team at work and a CMS being worked on very soon. On the other hand, if sales are slow we will not be in a position to expand, and if they are very slow we may not even be in a position to continue development. (I'm confident we won't be in that position though.)

I'm also reluctant to say 'of course we will produce a CMS' because as we have discussed previously, one person's idea of a CMS can differ wildly from another person's requirements. It will require extremely careful consultation with existing customers to establish exactly what we should build before we can even say if producing such a product falls within our circle of expertise.

I'm sorry if you find this frustrating, but our determination is to produce a highly polished forum product before we start to work on anything else. That may well mean that some people will not be able to adopt XenForo right away, and that's something we have to accept. We would rather have one great product than a handful of mediocre products.

... consider our situation.
Right now, we have our base product at its alpha stage. We have made no sales so far, and have no accurate means of estimating what our sales will look like. ...
There are simply too many variables. For example, if we sell hundreds of licenses every day.... we could see a significantly larger development team at work and a CMS being worked on very soon. On the other hand, if sales are slow we will not be in a position to expand...
I'm also reluctant to say 'of course we will produce a CMS' because as we have discussed previously, one person's idea of a CMS can differ wildly from another person's requirements. It will require extremely careful consultation with existing customers...
I'm sorry if you find this frustrating, but our determination is to produce a highly polished forum product before we start to work on anything else. That may well mean that some people will not be able to adopt XenForo right away, ...

Kier that's spot on for what's needed. Thank you.
It's not the facts of your position that's frustrating it's not knowing what they are as in being left with a meaningless "maybe later."
There now I knew we could trust you to come through with a sensible statement.
I'd seriously suggest you put this or something very close to it up in the top section where there's a question about cms plans. Then we can all help by fielding further enquiries and direct them to your statement.

CMS would be good, my biggest gripe with VB is the the constant upgrades and patches. So some integration would be nice on release

I think it's a very wise decision to focus on the forum product first and making sure it sells.

About a possible CMS I would like to give my personal opinion and say that I rather wait for a very well developed CMS, that functions like a true CMS should, enabling admins to really setup a great website, than to get something in a hurry with XF 1.x that is half work and disappointing.

I think it's a very wise decision to focus on the forum product first and making sure it sells.

About a possible CMS I would like to give my personal opinion and say that I rather wait for a very well developed CMS, that functions like a true CMS should, enabling admins to really setup a great website, than to get something in a hurry with XF 1.x that is half work and disappointing.
Yeah... not a fan of IP.Content or vB CMS. If it were to be developed, it should be something that's worth using.

Yeah... not a fan of IP.Content or vB CMS. If it were to be developed, it should be something that's worth using.

IP Content is very good if you are a coder ^^ but I cant use IP-Content because i have not the knowledge about coding :) At the Moment we use the vB-Cms one of our Sites......and this is the biggest ****, i have seen in my Live. So much bugs............but without a Article Sytem we can´t live, our Users read more News and in the Content-Sites as they use our Forums :)

Hm,

i will say: I love the work with our Articles. We have some Gaming Sides with Guides and Quest-Databases. And i think the Users are happy, that they find all the Guides by us :) So i will say a Article System is a good thing.

I will not use the Word CMS for the vB-CMS for me it is only a Article-System more not :)

Jörg, am just thinking here:

would it work if you post your articles (guides, etc.) as a Forum-thread ?
So users would be immediately able to discuss about your content ?

So literally saying your first post in a thread would be your very own article.

Would be interesting to see what would be the user-reaction on this.......

I think yes......If you have a lot of Categories and Sections, a Article System is better as a Forum for Guides.

sure, I understand what you mean. I am asking you all those questions because I guess we could learn a lot from experienced webmasters like yourself and others here:

do you think that would work when having Group-Forums ? So merely categorizing a Forum into different Groups ?
Like e.g. "Gruppen-Foren" similar as those being used at Xing.com ?

What i have learned, that we have no chance against other sites, if we put the content in the Forums. In the Next Days i can give you some other Adresses from us, then you can see/read what the Users want (our Users). At the Moment we switch all our Boards on New Servers. I give you some Urls from us, when the Forums are moved, then you can see Sites with vB-Dynamics and Sites with Guides where the Content is in the Forums. Our best Results we have at the Moment with vb 3.8 and Dynamics.

Top Bottom