1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.0 File Upload and Image Placement Using Quick Reply

Discussion in 'Have You Seen...?' started by Kier, Aug 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. erich37

erich37 Well-Known Member

is Flash being used here at XF ?

2. Kier

Kier XenForo Developer Staff Member

The new upload system uses Flash to overcome the limitations of HTML. The iPad does not support the HTML file upload control at all anyway (as far as I can tell) so the use of Flash for the enhanced system makes no difference to iOS users.

3. OperaManiac

OperaManiac Well-Known Member

alright. i would chip in again! can you use the HTML5 thingy (example) along with flash thingy for file uploads?

modern browsers can use HTML5. other browsers can use SWF?

maybe in a future version. just asking!

4. Kier

It really doesn't make sense for us to implement a complex feature that is not accessible to the majority of users (namely IE users). On the other hand, Flash has absolutely massive market penetration.

AmericanForum.com likes this.
  5. OperaManiac

let's pray for massive adoption of IE9 as soon as it is released. though it would take years before it can overtake the market share of IE 6/7/8. :)

by the way, any plan to add the google chrome frame meta tag by default on xenforo?

<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="chrome=1">

6. Kier

Microsoft have guaranteed that IE9 will not see rapid massive adoption by withholding it from Windows XP. Disaster, in my humble opinion.

Been Told likes this.
  7. Kier

I'm struggling to see the point of Chrome Frame. Surely anyone with the technical know-how to have found and installed Chrome Frame would be more likely to be using Chrome as their browser anyway? Or am I missing something here?

8. OperaManiac

well. a couple of things. some users may not like the chrome interface but would want to use their rendering engine. i know you use chrome (i do too!) but google provides that meta tag for a good reason! and they developed google chrome frame for those cases.

maybe for uncles and aunts who are stuck with IE and do not want/like to shift... those cases.

another reason.

google is actually working on making google chrome frame installer to NOT NEED administrative powers. so office folks might soon be able to install it without requiring their network admin's interference. a lot of folks i guess are still stuck with IE6 in office environments...

We’ve set aggressive goals for future releases: we’re working on making start-up speed even faster and removing the current requirement for administrator rights to install the plug-in.

i believe i do not have a solid case. but it is probably a 2 minute implementation! and worth considering for a while. :)

update: by adding it right now, it can get some testing rightaway. and if there are no problems, it can be included in the beta/stable build. and users can in fact start promoting alternate browsers while offering a workaround for people who want to stay on IE while using all the cool new features (CSS3?).

9. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Many thanks.

Really appreciate the way you take on board member feedback and requests.

10. erich37

so if someone has not installed Flash, then the uploader will not work, right ?

11. OperaManiac

i believe it would revert back to standard uploader that works with one file at a time.

12. erich37

hopefully, because not everyone has Flash installed....

13. OperaManiac

of course. there are going to be apple ipad users too.

14. Forsaken

Forsaken Well-Known Member

iPad doesn't support the HTML5 implementation either, so they're screwed either way.

15. Brogan

<snigger>

Woah!
    I actually wrote <s n i g g e r> but the swear filter caught it.

16. OperaManiac

arrrgh. right. looks like that's how it is!

flickr has incidentally just added support for android devices. i can now upload multiple files to flickr using their website in android web browser! they do not specify adobe flash but they do say its only available on android 2.2.

update: my n1 does not have flash installed. i tried the uploader just now. i could only upload one image at a time. :| might test again after installing flash on it.

argh. flickr does not mention multiple file uploads. http://blog.flickr.net/en/2010/09/23/new-browser-based-uploads-on-android-2-2/

17. James

James Well-Known Member

I wonder if the filter has an option to filter any instance of the word or allow it if it is part of another word. Hmm.

18. Brogan

Looks like they've done it using wildcards.
    I've raised it as a bug just in case as what I posted above is quite common.

19. Erik

Erik Well-Known Member

This is just extra, non-standard, unnecessary markup. I don't really see a point to this.
    iOS does not support file uploads *at all*.

20. OperaManiac

The point is for people who have Google chrome frame on their IE installations.

We are all techies here using Firefox(es) and Chrome(s). The point is that in the real world... Majority of web users are still currently on one or the other variant of IE. And some of them have installed GCF by choice. Others have no idea that they are running GCF (installed by their kids/friends/relatives). These are the people who might be the user of forums that would be powered by XF (maybe not the ones you or me would run).

One meta tag is not going to make the source code bloaty. I bet there are many more lines in the overall source code of XF that is there just to make the forum work in IE6 (some of which might be hacks and not exactly standard markup). My 2 cents.

I am not asking you to add IE9 specific non-standard codes ;) which i believe is truly evil but i fear would become part of many apps in the future. WordPress.com has already added them. :mad:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.