Lack of interest Feeder: Registered Feeds

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

Code Monkey

First of all thanks for including a rss feed reader and poster in XenForo.

The XenForo feed reader works just fine. But I think it needs some tweaks. It definitely is not user friendly at start up and it causes issues for a imported forum that already has most of a feeds articles posted.

It looks like it is auto set to a 5 article limit. This needs to be user defined. Especially on a new feed entry.

I have found that best practice, when adding a feed into a feed poster, is the ability to test run a feed and mark any articles you choose as pre-cached. Then you start off with only the articles you want, or in my case on a newly imported forum, skip all the articles I already have. I wasn't able to do this and I had to soft delete a mess of threads in hopes that it will keep the re-posting at bay until they fall off the feed.Plus I had to run them over and over because of the 5 article limit. Manual pre-caching is a good thing.

After many years of coding and maintaining Articlebot for vBulletin I found it's really best to cache the article title and compare it to the feed and never to the thread. Then have the cache set to prune after a set number is reached. Usually a number a little higher than the number of articles in the feed just to be sure. This way, the only way you get a duplicate is in the rare instance that the feed source changes the title.

Not a big deal but the pain could easily be a avoided with a few small tweaks.

Thank you for your time and effort in making this fine product.

Upvote 2
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Top Bottom