Devs - Will The Zend framework Stay In The xenForo Build?

Brandon_R

Hello devs, i have a question regarding the zend framework and it's residence in the xenforo framework? I understand you guys use some components from the zend framework, if so my question is do you guys plan to it write off the framework in due time or leave in in there for modders to take advantage of?

Thank you for your time.

If we find a compelling reason to write our own versions of the Zend components that we use then you could see XenForo becoming independent of the Zend Framework. Right now however, there is no compelling reason to spend that effort. We have already replaced the Zend components in XenForo that were not performing to our requirements of performance or flexibility, what is left is perfectly adequate for our needs.

If we find a compelling reason to write our own versions of the Zend components that we use then you could see XenForo becoming independent of the Zend Framework. Right now however, there is no compelling reason to spend that effort. We have already replaced the Zend components in XenForo that were not performing to our requirements of performance or flexibility, what is left is perfectly adequate for our needs.
Ok Thank You, one more question, even though the components of the zend framework can function with only the dependent classes of those components, will xenForo have the full zend framework in the download?

No, the Zend Framework is just a set of PHP files. If you meet our minimum requirements for XenForo installation, you can run ZF too.
But it does keep the original structure right?, so a dev could just upload the rest of the framework right over the files without changing anything and have it work.

I think what we are asking (at least what I want to know), is are the Zend components you do use included within the download, or would be also have to download a copy of the Zend framework for XF to function properly?

And slightly offtopic, why did you go with Zend instead of the other various PHP frameworks out there? :)

If you only use the parts of Zend that XF uses then surely it wont be an issue ?

Either way, developers can make their own choice, future versions of software often break older add-ons anyway - thats to be expected.

If we were to remove parts, they surely wouldn't be in a 1.0.x level release. It would at least be at a transition from 1.0 to 1.1, though more likely a 1 to 2 transition.

There are certainly advantages to some of the components, but conversely they can get in the way of doing things in other scenarios.

I see your point Paul but considering Zend is part of XF why should developers not use its components? I'd have no issue if they weren't there to start with! I guess that is my choice, like you said let developers make their own choices!

I'd be more than happy to use whatever XF has in place but love Zend for certain tasks as I find it better to work with in comparison to XF e.g database methods, zend table.

Essentially what your saying is developers shouldn't use the tools provided by XF package...:rolleyes: I completely understand future versions often require changes but in this case we've been given tools which XF doesnt use! thats the issue here I guess (the initial inclusion).

Anyway I was looking for clear answer rather than it depends! Its all a matter of opinion in the end...:)

I, myself, am excited to get to use this software and possibly do some of my own (very amateur) mods, however if there is the slightest chance that the Zend would be removed, then I think I would want to stay away from utilizing it. While it sounds like it solves (or helps) a lot of issues, modifications that rely on the base code sounds like the way to go for me.

(Then again, this is also a statement by someone that has not done a lot of coding in the past!)

Top Bottom