California Case Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like you already have your mind made up before the trial even begins. Hopefully it's not a case of David vs Goliath or you really should excuse yourself.
Unless you are not one of everyone and will have an open mind.
I was stated what everyone thought of the case I was to be a juror (until it was dismissed) thought on what was going on there. People don't like big companies. It's not even just that case. My dad owns many companies and people will typically defend "the smaller guy" as they can relate to them better than a big corporation. I haven't made up my mind at all on this case and your reading comprehension proves you don't understand what I had written. Go back and re-read it unless your comprehension sucks that bad that you still don't understand what I was typing.

I was just giving my experiences with my recent summons to be a juror. If you don't understand that, then please, don't respond again.

PS - I had to interpret what you were trying to say as it barely makes any sense. I have an open mind about this and even stated that the evidence we haven't seen could prove xF guilty. I would rather xf win obviously since I run a large site on xf and would like to see it flourish. So...here's to your ignorance. *cheers*

Perhaps it's the inner pessimist in me, but I got a really bad feeling this is going to trial.

Please Lord, let me be wrong.

It's almost certainly going to trial isn't it? Wasn't the judge's last comment "let's stop wasting time and get to trial"?

Three possibilities:

1) It goes to trial on January 15, 2013.

2) The judge dismisses the case on November 5, 2012.

3) The trial is delayed.

What are the circumstances that the trial will get delayed? I think the Judge already has had enough. I think Grace&Grace's responses focuses on that point - that IB's wasting time.

What are the circumstances that the trial will get delayed? I think the Judge already has had enough. I think Grace&Grace's responses focuses on that point - that IB's wasting time.

Yes, but we can only hope that the judge will see compelling merit in G&G's responses.
It isn't over until it is over and preliminary celebration tempts fate.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Indications are that the judge does not want any more delays. But IB's failure to prosecute over the last several months has created a situation where the current trial date of January 15, 2013 cannot be saved with the case in its current state. The judge is compelled to do something, and delay does not appear to be his first choice. The ruling on November 5 will resolve this.

It's going to be a crazy week :coffee:
Guy Fawkes Day ?
220px-Guy_Fawkes_by_Cruikshank.jpg

:)

Indications are that the judge does not want any more delays. But IB's failure to prosecute over the last several months has created a situation where the current trial date of January 15, 2013 cannot be saved with the case in its current state. The judge is compelled to do something, and delay does not appear to be his first choice. The ruling on November 5 will resolve this.
I have not been following the case as closely as others and I'm far from being a legal expert, but I do agree with you completely. The only negative thing I have to add is that the judge has been overruled in a number of cases and I'm sure he doesn't want to repeat that if possible.

I have not been following the case as closely as others and I'm far from being a legal expert, but I do agree with you completely. The only negative thing I have to add is that the judge has been overruled in a number of cases and I'm sure he doesn't want to repeat that if possible.

The judge would only be overruled if it is apparent his argument was wrong. If the judge throws out the case due to IB not delivering, and not having any presentable evidence, it'd be hard for them to argue they did while at the same time making a case for not presenting all of this earlier.

But let's wait for the judge.

Reactions: vVv
Three possibilities:

1) It goes to trial on January 15, 2013.

2) The judge dismisses the case on November 5, 2012.

3) The trial is delayed.

In the mean time, all of their potential customers get advertisements about ugg boots when they browse the forum because it goes against their principles to install a 3rd party add-on and/or update the software to fix the issue. If the 5th comes and we have to wait for January for Kier or anyone else to release an update to fix what can be considered at least a major flaw, if not a security issue... I think you will find many people upset, including me.

Well that is why i say it seems that they do not care about the company, but on the other hand Kier is posting here should be easy to give a update what is happening with the company in the announcement forum. Even if they where to drop Xenforo that would only mean the case against Xenforo would be gone but not against the owners, even if you settle it can cost you a lot of money.
A monthly bulletin would have saved a lot of speculation and so on and from a PR standpoint it would have been the best thing to do, inform people educate them and they understand more then leaving them in the dark.

what would the monthly bulletin be? "hey guys still getting sued, brb".
Next month: "still getting sued guys lol justice system", ad infinitum.

Development is postponed/delayed/shelved pending legal action is about all I would expect as a statement from a company as far as being in the loop goes. Threads like this keep us up to date with the legal details, in it's not in kier's interest to talk here about the details of the case, other then setting things straight when the speculation machine this place is kicks into overdrive. Looking past the 'company' we expect to have working away on our next version of xenforo right now from its xenforo office in developer town, I only see in reality two guys from the other side of the world being screwed by a major player that makes around 100 million a year. We expect, right now, too much from two guys... for all you or any of us may know they may be taking huge personal losses, putting a strain on relations etc, just the fact you're being sued is enough to give you that gut feeling that you're screwed, I got dragged through court for years too and I basically lost the will to give a f*ck about anything. IB can laugh this off because it's a board of directors and some CEO with an army of lawyers and devs dragging this charade through the courts while Kier and Mike sit at home dealing with all this crap. Personally. The IB CEO and the board and the lawyers switch off at 5pm. And at this stage of the game to still be complaining we don't get enough info is ridiculous, it was apparent ages ago this was going to hurt bad.

/end rant

what would the monthly bulletin be? "hey guys still getting sued, brb".
Next month: "still getting sued guys lol justice system", ad infinitum.

Development is postponed/delayed/shelved pending legal action is about all I would expect as a statement from a company as far as being in the loop goes. Threads like this keep us up to date with the legal details, in it's not in kier's interest to talk here about the details of the case, other then setting things straight when the speculation machine this place is kicks into overdrive. .... to still be complaining we don't get enough info is ridiculous, it was apparent ages ago this was going to hurt bad.
/end rant

Excellent rant D.O.A. thank you. I think some have simply never had the experience of being taken to court so they dont know how it affects you. How heroic our developers are. The very fact we still HAVE XF here is due to their courage and sheer stamina in keeping going.

During the honeymoon stage of the first year it was often said that XF was so much more than just a company putting out a (great) software. We spoke of how this was a real community which shared skills, knowledge, and helped each other.
Well when it gets hard going a real community goes on helping each other. Some are doing that while some have regressed to a childish whingeing and moaning about minor discomforts. But I guess many here are very young with little experience of business life or legal struggles.
I know I'm very lucky to have the knowledge and confidence of 30 years successful business life - never backed a loser yet - to help me make my decision that XF is a good platform with a solid future. I did run away 2 years ago in panic when the court case started. But I kept an eye on it and 3 months later I came back because it was clear how it would go.

Those who know how to assess legal stuff are very clear XF will win this case.
But there are some born pessimists who doubt whether XF will continue afterwards. There's no logic in that. If the intention was to discontinue or abandon XF they could have accepted settlement months ago. They did not. There is no logic in going on through the hammering of legal stress work on and on for any other reason than to continue developing XF.
Once you've known the freedom of running your own business you go though hell rather than go back into a job. If coding is "what you do" the only alternative is to start again, a new forum - crazy when this one has gone through its teething stages. The first two years of any project are the toughest, that's well known so XF is almost through that.

Oh I have seen some comments that some feel they are not getting a fair return on their contract because there has been no XF 1.2. Ive even seen talk of XF as a rip off. So I carefully checked this as it seemed a peculiar attitude to me.
As I thought the licence fee gives unlimited use of the existing XF version. Plus support for one year. Plus "any updates." There is no guarantee to update. So we all have exactly what we paid for: an excellent software with access to any available development. Same as any other software.

It isn't long to wait now. Business does have these bottlenecks. They turn into good stories later on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom