Best Registrar

I've heard horror stories about GoDaddy - people losing their domains due to 'bugs' because someone else happened to be paying large amounts for it, etc. I don't know how much truth there is to it, but the sheer amount of things I've heard make me not want to find out.
Personally a Namecheap guy; there's always a Namecheap coupon somewhere too :p

Another one I heard was good back when I was jumping around the SMF forums (o_O!) is Moniker

I cordially invite anyone that may be interested in buying a domain to visit some places and price out urls with private whois (if that is important to you) with no coupons entered :
  • name.com - $9.50
  • namecheap - $12.50 (ish) hard to compare because they have bulk pricing on whois protection. Most notibly, for me, they do not seem to allow contact via phone.
  • Godaddy - $21
I have zero affiliation with any of them except as a customer.

edit: the only place that I can find that namecheap lists their physical address is in a the 'privacy protection' link at the bottom of the page. I find that extremely strange.

I own over 150 domains all with godaddy... I have never had an issue concerning their domain registration service, be it selling, transferring, acquiring or whatever .... Plus I have saved hundreds on renewal.
Namecheap have a complicated transfer procedure. Not for me

I've heard horror stories about GoDaddy - people losing their domains due to 'bugs' because someone else happened to be paying large amounts for it, etc. I don't know how much truth there is to it, but the sheer amount of things I've heard make me not want to find out.
Personally a Namecheap guy; there's always a Namecheap coupon somewhere too :p

Another one I heard was good back when I was jumping around the SMF forums (o_O!) is Moniker

Simply not true. Godaddy is a BIG company they don't mess around. they don't charge a fee for you to sell your domain or transfer it out of their registry. most others do except for monkier i believe.

Godaddy suck when it comes to any other service

Simply not true. Godaddy is a BIG company they don't mess around. they don't charge a fee for you to sell your domain or transfer it out of their registry. most others do except for monkier i believe.

Godaddy suck when it comes to any other service
No arguments on the last paragraph. As for the registrar'ing, again, I've steered clear of them myself, but sites like http://nodaddy.com (& http://forums.nodaddy.com ) have a lot of these horror stories I've mentioned. While I doubt all the complaints are quite as valid as one is led to believe, I don't want to find out when I can get myself a namecheap domain for a similar price :p

No arguments on the last paragraph. As for the registrar'ing, again, I've steered clear of them myself, but sites like http://nodaddy.com (& http://forums.nodaddy.com ) have a lot of these horror stories I've mentioned. While I doubt all the complaints are quite as valid as one is led to believe, I don't want to find out when I can get myself a namecheap domain for a similar price :p

It is kinda similar to what you hear about walmart. :D rumors or how they are cruel to their employees ;)

they don't charge a fee for you to sell your domain or transfer it out of their registry. most others do except for monkier i believe.

Most others do? Really?

Which registrar actually does this?

Why would anyone want to register their domains with such a shady rip off provider you are describing there? Didn't see anyone ever charging me for transferring a domain to another registrar. Not even RegisterFly, heh.

Namecheap most definitely doesn't do this either.

Namecheap by far. Once you've got 50+ domains in your account, drop a support ticket in. They will apply a discount for you to get .coms for under $9 :)

I used to purchase domains exclusively through GoDaddy. Sadly, however, I have not been impressed with them as the past few years and have migrated almost each and every one of my domains over to NameCheap. All future domains will be purchased through NameCheap, too.

How is the DNS hosting/configuration at NameCheap is it decent? I like the DNS control panel at Godaddy and it's one of the bigger reasons I use them.

Most others do? Really?

Why would anyone want to register their domains with such a shady rip off provider you are describing there? Didn't see anyone ever charging me for transferring a domain to another registrar. Not even RegisterFly, heh.

You have to pay to transfer (In that you have to renew the domain).

I think originally they did charge a transfer fee, but they stopped doing so as they began to lose customers.

How is the DNS hosting/configuration at NameCheap is it decent? I like the DNS control panel at Godaddy and it's one of the bigger reasons I use them.

The DNS configuration is pretty straight forward, and is much easier to use then GoDaddy.

I think its ~2-3 clicks and the entering of the DNS, but thats it, and the average time I get for DNS propagation with Namecheap is 1-3 hours. 

Sure you pay the new registrar to start the transfer. You get a 1 year renewal for it.

But he's saying most others charge a fee for transferring the domain out ...

Most others do? Really?

Everyone does it! Especially namecheap and enom

Not sure how they operate these days, I haven't done business with them in a while, but couple of years ago that's how they roll, and if they stopped robbing people give credit to godaddy because they are the walmart of registrars and THEY are the market movers and shakers. Numbers numbers ....

Sure you pay the new registrar to start the transfer. You get a 1 year renewal for it.

But he's saying most others charge a fee for transferring the domain out ...

I just bought a new domain registered with enom.
Enom wants 34.99 to let me take the domain over to godaddy :eek:

One of the easiest to use. I taught my co-owner over IM how to use it and she is not technical at all.
I guess I'm not really worried about the ease part I'm an Network Consultant for a living, I'm more worried about it having all the features. I used to have some domains at 1and1 and they wouldn't let us set wildcard DNS entries, or SVR entries, where godaddy includes all of these.

Top Bottom