• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

[bd] Anonymous Posting

xfrocks

Anonymous Posting
Posting as nobody know who you are.

[INSTALLATION]
1. Upload files and directories inside `upload` to XenForo's root directory. Select "Merge" for everything if you are asked.
2. Import the .xml file using XenForo addon importer
3. Enjoy

This addon does support attachment posting. User will be able to post anonymously in all forums (selective forums only will be available as requested). The post will be posted as Guest with the display name of "Anonymous" (option to select a user? Using phrase instead of hardcoded text?). THE IP OF THE POST IS STILL AVAILABLE FOR MODERATORS AND ADMINISTRATORS!

Original request: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/anonymous-posting-improved-privacy-for-members.10675/

Changes log:
v1.0: admin can now exclude forums and select the target user in Option > Threads, Discussions and Conversations

Attachments

I see a great use of this addon. Just imagined forums with and without anonymous posting by the forum rules.

Would it be possible for the Admin to know who posted ?
Would it be possible to make it impossible for the Admin to know ?
People might revolt and want the original poster exposed !
How about Anonymous Posting REQUIRES admin or moderator permission FIRST, before appearing.

More than likely an Admin or Mod (or someone with the appropriate permissions) will still be able to view the IP addresses.

Would it be possible for the Admin to know who posted ?
Would it be possible to make it impossible for the Admin to know ?
People might revolt and want the original poster exposed !
How about Anonymous Posting REQUIRES admin or moderator permission FIRST, before appearing.

There are 2 reasons why this addon doesn't track the real poster
  1. Anonymous is anonymous. Letting anyone know who posted an anonymous post is cheating. If I'm a user and I know there are way to find out I posted an anonymous post, I will NEVER post it in the first place.
  2. It was easier to implement without tracking :D

What about anonymous + moderator review ?
I can certainly track down who was online when it was posted.
xenforo.whos.online.makes.it.less.anonymous.webp
If a moderator had to approve it .... then there would be an undefined time lag ... might make it more anonymous.
What will it say in Recent Activity ? James posted a new thread --- maybe it shouldn't have an entry?

More than likely an Admin or Mod (or someone with the appropriate permissions) will still be able to view the IP addresses.
Will this be true ?

There are 2 reasons why this addon doesn't track the real poster
  1. Anonymous is anonymous. Letting anyone know who posted an anonymous post is cheating. If I'm a user and I know there are way to find out I posted an anonymous post, I will NEVER post it in the first place.
  2. It was easier to implement without tracking :D

So you CAN'T see the IP address? Not even the Admin?

No, Sir. I don't like it. I don't like it a bit.

then im curious about this situation
if one post anonomous and flame. How do admimn even ban him since he posted as anon

What about anonymous + moderator review ?
I can certainly track down who was online when it was posted.
View attachment 10036
If a moderator had to approve it .... then there would be an undefined time lag ... might make it more anonymous.
What will it say in Recent Activity ? James posted a new thread --- maybe it shouldn't have an entry?

Will this be true ?

No News Feed item. And yes, the IP is still recorded as usual. Moderating anonymous post is way too complicated, sorry :D

In THAT case it's okay. I have a subboard that allows guests to post. It's an "Ask Dave" kind of thing. And a couple of times people have hidden their names to post personal questions. This would be perfect for this.

bagheadfire.jpg

How about Admin-defined optional moderation for PaperBag (Anonymous) Posts ?
How about random length of time from Thread submission to it appearing ... 10 to 90 minutes ?

Admins at the very least should still be able to see who posted the anonymous message, even without checking IP adresses. This could easily be abused otherwise.

Top Bottom