• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

[8wayRun.Com] XenPorta (Portal)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have it installed on our Dev forum, but I think I'm gonna have to revert some templates because I'm damned if there's a promote thread button there lol.

Have it installed on our Dev forum, but I think I'm gonna have to revert some templates because I'm damned if there's a promote thread button there lol.
The promote thread function can not be impeded by custom templates. You need to have permission to promote threads.
My homepage is: http://www.onlinegilde.net - but be careful ist german so I don't know if you can understand anything :)

Greetings and thank for your greate work!
Have you considered turning on the "Set as Index Controller" option?

The promote thread function can not be impeded by custom templates. You need to have permission to promote threads.

Hmmm, ok I must be blind then can't find the option to promote the thread, and I've given the admin group promote permission.

Have you considered turning on the "Set as Index Controller" option?

I have turned on this option on that day it was available in your mod. But my community liked the forum view as a main page, so turned it off :)

Another reason is, that after the hour (that the caching time for recent news) the portal page gets incredible slow while recaching. So for new guests it could be a reason not to stay on my webpage....

Does anyone have an examples of a website using the new "Promote Thread" feature? Its not a function I use myself, so I want to know how its working out for people.
Yep... installed it and promoted 3 specific articles that I wanted on the homepage, removed the pagination from the template, as that is just all bad if you 200 articles in a forum, rotating one or two within the news field. The pagination end up searchable for 100's of pages from the homepage, which is bad in the scheme of handing that to Google for indexing... literally hundreds of duplicate pages of your homepage, only changing the news items.

Maybe want to add the rel="nofollow" into pagination for the use you are performing.

i have noticed a minor styling anomaly.
it seems that the presence of the promote button breaks the styling of the 'not open for replies' div in the default style.
its possible its just me. can somebody have a look in one of their locked threads to confirm?

Wow thats superb!

How do I get that?
jaxel likes to tease with sneak peeks of the next release ;)

i have noticed a minor styling anomaly.
it seems that the presence of the promote button breaks the styling of the 'not open for replies' div in the default style.
its possible its just me. can somebody have a look in one of their locked threads to confirm?

jaxel likes to tease with sneak peeks of the next release ;)

Damn thats nasty!!
rolleyes.png

Does anyone have an examples of a website using the new "Promote Thread" feature? Its not a function I use myself, so I want to know how its working out for people.
Yep- up and running. Works great.
cool.png

I only gave the Admin user group the ability to promote a thread.

IronRangers.net - still under construction....

Ooh that would be nice, with each portal feeding off a different forum.

Also being able to feed off categories of forums rather than a single forum would be nice.

Different forums on the same server

and

just having another portal so I could customize it differently and offer up different information.

XenPorta is (to borrow the slang from a gaming community I used to be immersed in) total awesome sauce! :)
I just loooove the ability to provide a CMS/Blog like interface that presents content that actually resides in the forum. It's so vastly much better being able to promote a thread and not have it copied or otherwise disconnected from the community. And it keeps the original attribution, 'cause it's still the original. No duplicate content at all. Good, good stuff. :)
::snoopy dance::

Actually I'd love to be able to use a lot of the XenPorta functionality in regular pages! It'd be great for creating topic focused landing pages if you could add XenPorta blocks :).

The blocks framework is wonderfully flexible and easy to extend, it'd be great to see it abstracted into a standalone framework that could be used elsewhere in the site!

Really REALLY impressed with what you're building here Jaxel. As soon as we actually migrate we'll definitely be donating :).

Jaxel, how hard would it be so the plugin could operate multiple portals on the same website?

I want to do something similar to macrumors.com where you have multiple tabs at the top that take you to multiple portals.

I'd love a feature like that as well, now I think about it. That would be the bomb for one of our forums.

Jaxel,

Is there a way to access the promotion date from the EWRporta_promotes table? We were looking for a way to show the date the thread was promoted to XenPorta instead of the date the thread was created. Since the thread creation dates will likely jump all over the place, it's a bit confusing for a new guest. The Promote date would be more consistent, and would make more sense to display above the article/promoted thread image in the top right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom