4. 1.3
  5. 1.4
  6. 1.5
Table of contents:
  • Intro
  • Conventional Installation
  • The problem
  • The solution (with an example)
  • Upgrading/Whats the point to organizing like this?
  • Checking for outdated templates
  • Summary
  • Video

Hey everyone, today I'm going to walk through proper theme installation. Not everyone may agree...
You do not have permission to view the full content of this resource. Log in or register now.
Author
ThemeHouse
Views
First release
Last update

Ratings

5.00 star(s) 21 ratings

More resources from ThemeHouse

Latest updates

1. Added a video

Latest reviews

These same principles still apply for the latest XenForo versions. I took it a step further. I leave the base installed theme as-is, of course, and mark it DO NOT EDIT. I create a child under that which I use to make layout tweaks only, and also to apply our site's branding. Below that one, I create all of the different color themes for the site, so the only changes in this level of child theme are used for adjusting color. I no longer edit templates directly. Instead, I create an add-on to apply template modifications via XF's system. That leaves the base themes untouched, which makes upgrades so much easier. The only template I edit directly might be EXTRA.less, and only if it applies to specific color adjustments. (I use a template modification applied to EXTRA.less to insert common tweaks across all of the themes, which saves a lot of editing and chasing down bugs.)
Great information and will be a big help. I am getting ready to buy a style for my new XF site and knew about wanting to create a child but didn't know about a child of that. I never thought about this. Thanks for the guide.
A very helpful guide, the process is very well explained and easy to understand. It just shows that laying the foundations makes things a whole lot easier going forward. Thanks!
Will save a lot of time if followed. Well documented, and thorough. There is not much else to say, thank you.
EXCELLENT TUTORIAL: This is a must read even for seasoned developers. It is a good reminder that keeping it simple can be best. No need to create a new theme every time a upgrade comes along, just make a child of the parent theme.
Excellent! Mike is an excellent theme designer. This guide is really detailed and very helpful. I went from not knowing how to upgrade, to knowing everything needed to perform my first upgrade in a matter of minutes. Thank you for all your hard work.
Thank you, very useful.
Excellent guide on organizing themes!
Well written and to the point.
Very helpful, thank you!
Top Bottom