California Case Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone explain in plain English what it means.
Basically it ensures that when xenforo wins, Jelsoft will not be able to wriggle out of paying xenforos costs.
Yes but I would think that since in the UK the case was determined already it is just about waiting for reimbursement within the time the court has allowed. Right?

The US case would have to wait until VBS inc (plaintiff) fails to prove their claims but then generally speaking the judge awards court costs and fees incurred by the defendant be reimbursed by the plaintiff who fails to make a case.

Yes but I would think that since in the UK the case was determined already it is just about waiting for reimbursement within the time the court has allowed. Right?

The US case would have to wait until VBS inc (plaintiff) fails to prove their claims but then generally speaking the judge awards court costs and fees incurred by the defendant be reimbursed by the plaintiff who fails to make a case.

Wait, the UK case was "determined" already. What does that mean?

There seems to be a fair bit of confusion here, so this is the plain English translation:
Yesterday in London...
This concerns the English lawsuit, rather than the one in California.
an application made on behalf of XenForo Ltd. for security of costs...

'Applications' are the English equivalent of 'motions' in US legal parlance.
The application was made on the grounds that the first claimant, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. has no assets in the UK, having assigned them to the second claimant, vBulletin Solutions Inc. which is not resident within this jurisdiction.
In English civil law, the loser of each round of litigation is required to pay the winner's costs, including attorney's fees. The Court must have the power to compel the losing party to do this.

There are no assets in the UK that the Court could order to be paid to the defendants in the event that they win. The application for security of costs, asked the Court to force the claimants to pay a large sum of money to the Court to be used to pay the defendants' costs, avoiding the possibility that the claimants could lose or abandon the case and walk away without meeting their financial obligations.
The claimants opposed the application...
The said they didn't want to.
...was granted by the High Court.
We won.
...and costs were awarded against them.
As the application was contested and the matter was heard in Court, costs were involved, and with failure of their opposition, the claimants were ordered to pay the costs incurred by the defendants in making the application.

I think you are confused....SLAPP is about censorship, Shamil was talking nothing of that as I understand he was talking about court fees basically and the system in place in the UK where as I understand by reading it says that when you make a claim against someone you have to put up a bond if you will and if you lose defendants can recover costs from that by making a claim themselves for security costs and if it falls under certain criteria they can be awarded the amount claimed.

Wait, the UK case was "determined" already. What does that mean?
I mean that I was under the impression that the case in the UK has already had a ruling and the case was dismissed or so I thought. Which would explain this and it's .gov.uk domain extension. I just try and put two and two together. I am just another user just as yourself though so I cannot tell you if I am 100% right and I am surely not an attorney.

___edit____
I was ninja'd lol

Good to know I wasn't off-base :-)

No, the case in the UK continues, as does the one in California.

huh..what is going on I stopped following that as I thought that was over. Wow I misread something a long time ago..... Hmm...<taps head and looks confused> must have had a memory lapse, time to play catchup... <facepalm>

Well that sucks.
:(

I interpreted that as XF saying to the court "hang on, VBS Inc. don't have any cash or assets so if the lose they won't be able to pay. Can the court please bind them to covering the costs if they lose the case/claims?"

VBS Inc. tried to get out of it, and the court said "No, XF are right, you should be bound-over by the court to pay if you lose!" and so found in XF's favour.

Or have I got that wrong?

It's not about the case per say, just making sure that XF's costs are covered by IB if XF win.

Cheers,
Shaun :D

That's the best news I've heard in quite a while! :)
Congrats to XF Ltd, that's fantastic to hear.

I'm hoping that IB bows out of the whole UK lawsuit now that they know that they will have to foot the whole bill. ;) That would be GREAT ammunition for Pam to use on the CA side. I'd love to see how that would reinforce the argument that the whole suit is nothing but an attempt to bushwhack a startup competitor with a spurious lawsuit rather than compete in the open market. :)

Awesome new... Whoo Hoo!
:: snoopy dance ::

...In English civil law, the loser of each round of litigation is required to pay the winner's costs, including attorney's fees. The Court must have the power to compel the losing party to do this....
Aren't attorneys paid hourly? How could the Court know the winner's cost beforehand? Lawers' fees can add up to a huge amount, millions in some cases.

Aren't attorneys paid hourly? How could the Court know the winner's cost beforehand? Lawers' fees can add up to a huge amount, millions in some cases.
It is upon the parties to make an estimation and the Court to decide if the figure is reasonable and probable.

Thanks for the clarification. To me this system looks like a motivation killer to brilliant lawyers. "Sorry, pal, you've reached your cap. Gotta go. Next..."

It is upon the parties to make an estimation and the Court to decide if the figure is reasonable and probable.
The key I guess is to try and get this ASAP. IB won't want to abandon the UK case because that could reflect on the US case. They also won't be keen to stump up the security for the UK case, knowing more than likely that they won't win and thus will be out of pocket anyway. However, to counter that, putting up a few hundred thousand dollars isn't going to be too hard for a company like IB I guess, even if they subsequently abandon the case and get it back.

But ASAP in legal circles is counted in weeks, if not months, not days :(

Thanks for the clarification. To me this system looks like a motivation killer to brilliant lawyers. "Sorry, pal, you've reached your cap. Gotta go. Next..."
Bear in mind that applications for security of costs are the exception, not the rule. Most of the time there is no need to make such an estimation, and costs are determined after the conclusion of the litigation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom